tigtog blogs a lot elsewhere, but here on Feministe she mostly does the tech support and feeds the giraffe. tigtog tweets in irregular flurries @vivsmythe.

1. Sharon M
    Sharon M February 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm |

Stagecoach Mary

Erykah Badu plays Stagecoach Mary in They Die by Dawn

Can you delete my first post please? The link button never works for me. thanks.

2. Brett
    Brett February 4, 2014 at 11:26 pm |

This is rather depressing, but in honor of Black History Month, the local library is featuring a documentary about the heroic story of . . a white freedom rider activist. Not that there’s something wrong with white freedom riders, but come on – there’s got to be some local black person stories you can talk about from Utah history. There were black pioneer families, black military officers who served at Ft. Duchesne in the 19th century, a historical black community in Salt Lake City that goes back into the 1800s and still exists today, and so forth.

They could talk about how discrimination for them got worse in the 1890s reflecting a national increase in racial supremacy. About how part of that eroded the black community in Salt Lake City, including the forced clearing of black residents from near the City and County Building, the increased segregation of facilities and housing, and the efforts by the local branch of the NAACP. Anything but watching a video about a freedom rider who isn’t even from Utah!

3. Angel H.
    Angel H. February 5, 2014 at 8:32 am |

In the last open thread I mentioned that they’re actually holding Black History Month events at Andrew Jackson’s plantation house.

I’m honestly not sure who should be more insulted – Black people for slaves he kept, Indigenous people for signing the Indian Removal Act, or Jackson’s ghost for inviting “colored” people into his house! If that wasn’t enough, the website promises an “authentic experience for all of its guests”.

O_o …I thought the idea was to get *more* Black people to visit!

4. Denise Winters
    Denise Winters February 5, 2014 at 8:58 pm |

Documentary on Alice Walker. First airing Friday 2/7/2014 on PBS (USA).

5. trees
    trees February 7, 2014 at 11:10 am |

‘Africa is not a country': Students’ photo campaign breaks down stereotypes
    I love the one that says “African women are active participants in their own history”.

6. Caperton
    Caperton February 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm | *

For anyone in the Birmingham, Alabama, area, the group See Jane Write is participating in the National African American Read-In. The theme for their read-in is “Phenomenal Woman,” focusing on works written by African-American women. It’s Thursday, February 20, at the Desert Island Supply Company.

7. daisydrummond
    daisydrummond February 7, 2014 at 5:43 pm |

I love being black and I love all of the black history celebrations around this time of year. I enjoy how it has become a time for me, and my friends of all races, to reflect on the experiences blacks in America and abroad and to celebrate and discuss aspects of black culture that have inspired us (all) and have changed American and world history in general.

However, one of the things I enjoy most about this time of year are the discussions that pop up about whether or not we should refer to this month as “black history month” or “african-american history month” or should refer to ourselves as blacks or african-americans in general.

I really find all of the different reasons for why people should use one term versus the other so interesting.

I, for one, prefer the term “black” because it is more inclusive of people whose ancestors may not claim the same history of descent from African-American bondage or civil rights battles but share the same racial characteristics nonetheless. I think of my afro-latino friends and people like the POTUS in these instances. We who share the same race, as American citizens, I think share alot of the same (present) experiences and have equally important and interesting contributions to American history as those who just claim to be descendants of African slaves in America.

Although I know that a shared complexion doesn’t necessarily mean we all walk the same path EXACTLY; I just like the term “black” and “black history month” because I like thinking of black history and black contributions from people around the WORLD during this month, not just those born or living in America – especially my English and Australian brothers and sisters.

That’s my two cents. Hope this babble doesn’t belong in “spillover”!

8. BroadBlogs
    BroadBlogs February 7, 2014 at 8:41 pm |

These pictures of white-looking slave kids from the antebellum South are telling:

1. Daisy Drummond
      Daisy Drummond February 10, 2014 at 10:07 am |

(from the article) “What such a campaign implied, of course, was that images of formerly enslaved black children were not enough to spur many Northerners to boost their support for the war and aid freed people in need. Indeed, these images serve as a remarkable reflection of just how much race shaped many Americans’ stake in the bloody conflict.”

So sad, but true, that for some people, the simple idea of slavery for ANY person is disgusting and a mind-twisting outrage is “not enough”. This reminds me of some of my “educated” and “civilized” friends who had a visceral reaction to Django and 12 Years A Slave claiming a renewed awareness that “yes, slavery was THAT bad” —– how could anyone forget?!? But it IS possible for some people to forget that and I’m thankful (I guess) for all and any efforts to make those facts “hit home” for everyone. Still. . . . le SIGHHHHHH at that necessity

9. Radfem
    Radfem February 10, 2014 at 11:50 am |

My city doesn’t talk about electing a Klan mayor in the 1920s or premiering “Birth of a Nation” earlier than that. Its school district was the first in the country to desegregate voluntarily but then a couple schools got burned down so…. but this is a place where it’s not uncommon to see “white pride” tattoos and twin lightning bolts, a symbol of Neo-Nazism.

Don’t even get me started on how the district tried to name a new high school after MLK jr and the uproar about that spread nationwide.

I’ll never forget that night. Seeing a packed room with two sides, White people on one side. Black people on the other. Well mostly.Media lights so bright you couldn’t see the people you were addressing at the podium But it came up in discussion with some friends and I. MLK jr High School turned out just fine by the way. It’s a great high school.

But no, not much has changed since 1998 not in this corner of the world. Sometimes it doesn’t even look like anything’s changed on the surface never mind underneath it.