Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Gappy says:

I wrote a post called Internet feminism, call out culture, and cis white tears, which you can read here:

It was a difficult post to write. I wanted to explore what the current virtual climate meant for feminism as a whole, and how it is affecting how women are expressing themselves online, all without sounding like an arsehole. Not easy as it turned out.

2. Heather says:

Earlier this week I wrote about pole dancing and body image.

Then yesterday I reviewed the CW show “Reign“. (Spoilers if you’re not caught up!)

3. ninjanurse says:

Some creative non-fiction. All true except for the central character.
    Holding the needle with fear and love in my heart–
    Searching for Milo Stranger Part 1- Appointment at the Clinic

The preacher shouted bloody Jesus and demonic African rhythms–I hated him–
    Milo Stranger Part 11- Rock of Ages

4. I wrote Dammit, I want pretty things: about how frustrating it is that I can’t just walk into a store and try on clothes for fun, and how I wish that the type of outrageous, over-the-top, colorful clothing I like came in my size.

5. When I started kindergarten (in 1990), I didn’t know who Madonna or the Power Rangers were. Was that the barrier to my social skills that would plague me for years?

A close friend of mine wrote a guest post on my blog about body image and struggles with confidence as a gay man and how a Dove commercial helped him deal with them. (TW for weight loss talk).

Picture a dinosaur, a Greek statue, Jesus. You’re probably wrong, but no one seems to care. What good is research if we don’t let it change our minds?

6. Jecca says:

This week: why feminism should be taught in schools and outrage over winter Olympic outbursts :D

7. I’ve got a new salad recipe posted for mixed greens with cambozola, hibiscus pearls, and pear vinaigrette. The hibiscus pearls are my first experiment using molecular gastronomy, and they’re incredibly cool.

8. BroadBlogs says:

The dating world has been one of the most resistant to gender equality. For instance, men are commonly expected to take lead and ask women out for a date, and women are expected to passively wait around for a phone call. Interestingly, it’s usually guys who ask me why that is — apparently, several of them would like to be asked out. So I asked women in one of my classes how they felt about asking men out. Here’s what they said:

Why Women Don’t Ask Guys Out

Yeah, I’ve Asked Men Out

I’ll be exploring this issue more later.

9. rimonim says:

Trans Romantic. What’s it like to be in a relationship as a trans person? What’s it like to be a trans person’s partner? Launching a new series with my fiancee.

A Transsexual In Paradise. Were we born with the wrong hearts, the wrong bodies? Am I a mistake?

10. I posted an extensive interview with queer/feminist/music theologian Dirk von der Horst about the music Pope Francis mentioned in the papal interview that came out a while back: A Music Theologian Engages with Pope Francis’ Favorite Music. Or, as Dirk put it, “in which @VictoriaGaile asks me about Pope Francis & I respond with queer musicology.” :)

He’ll be hanging around for a while to answer questions in the comments and chat with folks about the interview, which includes plenty of music to illustrate what he’s talking about.

And in thesis blogging, while struggling to adequately describe the dynamics between clergy and laity, I posted Who constitutes the church? A hypothesis on clericalism, factionalism, and mimetic rivalry. I’d love some feedback on whether my hypothesis seems reasonable and adequate.

11. socbaker says:

Human with Uterus has new posts this week on the right to informed risk taking and heternormativity in breastfeeding support:

12. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I wrote a post about teaching Jane Eyre and having religion (once again) enter the classroom: “Talking About Religion.”

Also, a brief post about my latest Grounded Parent post, which reviews the work of Jon Muth, an under-appreciated children’s author / illustrator. Muth writes wisdom literature for 3-8 year olds, deftly and beautifully.

13. There’s a disgusting woman-hater on the airwaves in SoCal. Would you take a moment to tell his employers that that’s not okay?

Thank you!

14. I put together a not at all exhaustive list of 5 problems with James Taranto’s piece on sexual assault in the WSJ. He seems easy to dismiss, but the comments on my and many other posts show he is sadly not alone.

I also covered new research showing that private prisons have an even higher percentage of people of color than public ones.

15. Sue says:

I wrote four posts about living with mental illness (a very big CN warning on all 4 posts.) Why? Because someone has to talk about these things. Because the reaction to the first post led to the second, etc. I’m going to write a follow up post this week discussing the responses to these 4 pieces so I’ll save my commentary for that.

Why don’t people bring casseroles to people with mental illness?

Why I’ve been referring to myself as a mental patient lately.

How I would use three wishes to help people with mental illness.

BIG WARNING – what happens when your cyberstalker resufaces when you write about your mental health.

On a less personally intense note, I discuss the decision by General Hospital writers to explore how one learns homophobia.

16. Hannah says:

Whoops – forgot this on the Socialist Workers’ Party rape scandal.

17. [Content Note added by moderator team: this link is to a work of "some fiction, some fact" featuring an unreliable narrator, and has been flagged by other readers for problematic content (see comments below)]

I wrote about a transgender relationship, and how it progressed over time.

• bookshopcat says:

For anyone else who might click on that link unprepared, please be aware that it should have trigger warnings for unexamined cissexism and past-tense misgendering.

• Could I have said it features an unreliable narrator and left it at that? I appreciate the terminology, within reason.

• tigtog says:

A Content Note has been added to Comrade Kevin’s link above. Further replies in this subthread have been deleted because, as is repeatedly mentioned in these threads, detailed discussion of any self-promotion link belongs in Open Thread or Spillover rather than taking focus away from the links on this thread.

This thread is now on full moderation to avoid further missteps. Maybe every single one of these threads should always be on full moderation so this stops happening (this suggestion can be discussed in Spillover, not on this thread).

• ldouglas says:

Wow, sorry, I assumed Kevin was trans* before I posted that. Withdrawn.

18. Kristin says:

What has the CIA been doing to creative writing programs in the US? We found out this week. I discuss an essay by Eric Bennett and put it into the context of my experiences in creative writing programs.

19. Emma Hawkes says:

I wrote about why we should value brawn over beauty by teaching our girls that female olympic athletes are role models NOT models in “My Olympic Dream”

20. [Comment content deleted: a clear instruction to take further discussion of your link to Spillover was made. Abide by moderator instructions if you want your comments to be published. ~ Moderator Team]