Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Jem
    Jem February 23, 2014 at 9:35 am |

A couple of things this week which might be of interest. Firstly, the British sports minister made some incredible comments about how women should get into sports which allows them to remain “radiant” and “feminine” and wear sequinned socks… High Performing Women: On Sports and Sparkly Socks

and a friend pointed out how switching the genders of characters in Wind in the Willows radically changed the work, causing some thoughts on literature and “Settings of Desire”

2. Sunil
    Sunil February 23, 2014 at 9:59 am |

Content note: sexual assault.
    I’ve put together a compilation of 50-odd posts from Project Unbreakable, where a pattern of manipulation becomes apparent – i.e. how rapists manipulate their victims. The purpose of doing this post was to counter a popular rape myth – that rape is “accidental”, a “miscommunication” etc.
    Link: How Rapists Manipulate Their Victims

3. Andie
    Andie February 23, 2014 at 10:15 am |

I wrote about dealing with anxiety and I also whined about being sick.

4. Jecca
    Jecca February 23, 2014 at 10:33 am |

Winter Olympics, girl idols and why feminism needs to be taught in schools on wishbone!

5. Gappy
    Gappy February 23, 2014 at 10:49 am |

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a good week.

This week I wrote about domestic violence and the (still woefully inadequate) police response – set in the context of the murder of Hollie Gazzard.

Trigger warning for domestic murder and violence: http://www.gappytales.com/2014/02/no-isolated-incident-the-death-of-hollie-gazzard.html

6. ninjanurse
    ninjanurse February 23, 2014 at 10:55 am |

If you’re wondering why all of a sudden it’s open season on gay people in Africa, here’s some answers. The bloody hands of American evangelists and politicians helped write these drastic laws, and here’s some names you’ll recognize–
    American Evangelists Helped Form Ugandan Anti-Gay Laws

7. Angelia Sparrow
    Angelia Sparrow February 23, 2014 at 11:10 am |

I have been very busy lately.

I run a small press, and we’re putting out a steampunk serial for free on the blog. Parts 1, 2, 3 [CN: violence, peril, PG-13 sexual content, alcohol] Part 4 will be available this coming Friday.

[CN; disability] A quick report on AnachroCon, including a panel which got to talking about writing disabled characters. (Two of us with disabilities were on it)

[CN: sex discussion] I hosted author Peter Tupper for a guest blog.

[CN: religious parody] Just for fun, Roddenberry 1: 1-5

[CN: disability, clutter, religious parody] And I cleaned my son’s room after his departure for the Army.

8. scopophilia
    scopophilia February 23, 2014 at 12:18 pm |

My Berlin Film Festival coverage continued!

Day 4: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/77070668918/is-the-man-who-is-tall-happy-an-animated (Is the Man who is Tall Happy?, Finding Vivian Maier, Blind)

Day 5: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/77072619558/la-marche-a-suivre-aka-guidelines-canada-2014 (Guidelines, Top Girl, Fucking Different XXY)

Day 6: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/77073826914/the-dog-usa-2014-3-5-out-of-5-john-wojtowicz (The Dog, Vulva 3.0, Sto Spiti, Iieji)

Day 7: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/77187546496/boyhood-usa-2014-4-out-of-5-mason-ellar (boyhood, obietnica, the darkside, calvary)

Day 8: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/77188569018/unfriend-philippines-2014-0-5-out-of-5-david (unfriend, 52 tuesdays, through a lense darkly: Black photographers and the emergence of a people)

Day 9: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/77189436277/al-midan-aka-the-square-egypt-usa-2013-4-out-of (Al Midan, Nymphomaniac Part 1)

9. Heather
    Heather February 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm |

This week I wrote about the ways in which leg-shaving is marketed to young girls.

10. BroadBlogs
    BroadBlogs February 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm |

For Black History Month I posted the reminiscence of one of my students growing up with white privilege in Ohio in the 70s and 80s.

Whitewashing White Privilege

And, beauty can be such a huge part of a woman’s self-esteem that it can trump sex, nourishment, or spiritual and intellectual life. Another piece comes from a student who talks about her past experience having:

Sex with Men Hoping to Feel Beautiful

11. rimonim
    rimonim February 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm |

Forgiving My Parents. They had probably never met a transgender person. They’d certainly never been parents before.

Medication & Mental Health. It’s amazing how difficult it is to admit you could benefit from mood-altering medication.

12. delagar
    delagar February 23, 2014 at 12:58 pm |

Over at delagar, I wrote a post on what happened when Noelle Stevenson pushed back, even a little, at the misogyny and objectification of women in the comics industry: “Oh, Noelle Stevenson, Why You Want To Be Treated Like a Human?”

If you’re not reading Stevenson’s Nimona, btw, you should be!

13. Emily
    Emily February 23, 2014 at 2:39 pm |

Hello,

I am a 16 year old queer spawn from NYC/New Jersey. I regularly post about human rights, women’s rights, gay rights and a lot of other things about our society that I feel need to be said.

Please check out my blog at http://myopinionourculture.blogspot.com.

Thanks,
    Emily

14. Rebecca Griffin
    Rebecca Griffin February 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm |

There’s been some backlash from centrist Democrats against populist leaders like Elizabeth Warren and Bill DeBlasio. As someone who is uninspired by many of the candidates the Democratic Party puts up, I argue that infighting that pushes the party to embrace progressive positions could be a good thing.

I also put together a collection of moving and thoughtful responses to the hung jury on the murder charge for Michael Dunn, who killed unarmed black teenager Jordan Davis.

15. Victoria Gaile
    Victoria Gaile February 23, 2014 at 4:37 pm |

Modesty, Male Gazes, and Virtues: my entry into a conversation about modesty as a virtue, informed by feminist analysis of the male gaze.

16. Sue
    Sue February 23, 2014 at 4:51 pm |

(Content Note – mental illness) I made a list of 6 Things You Can Do To Help Someone Who is Depressed

(Content Note – discussion of death & burial) I imagined what my last will & testament will be.

(Content Note – junior high memories) I don’t have any interesting “being dumped” stories, but I do have some interesting first date stories and a very emotionally tragic moment from the 9th grade dance. Not starring Molly Ringwald.

17. tigtog
    tigtog February 23, 2014 at 5:31 pm | *

Recently on Hoyden About Town:
    [Content Note: cyberbullying, online abuse, silencing] The attempts to shut women down continue

[Content Note: detention camps for refugees, inhumane treatment, abuse, trauma] A Guard’s Story

Kurt Vonnegut on The Money River, aka neo-liberalism

18. Anna
    Anna February 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm |

Attention Arizonans: Planned Parenthood is reintroducing abortion care to its Flagstaff health center, which offers medication abortion up to nine weeks. Also, read about another bad bill being entertained by the state legislature.

And for those of you hoping for more links to click, look no further than our roundup of sexual- and reproductive-justice oriented headlines.

19. Gretchen
    Gretchen February 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm |
  20. Emmica
    Emmica February 24, 2014 at 5:12 am |

Hi everyone,

I wrote a piece about Air New Zealand’s sexist safety video.

Cheers : )

21. KP
    KP February 24, 2014 at 9:54 am |

This week I wrote about HBO’s new show, Looking, and for fun, I tried out an online tool that analyzes your writing’s “personality type.”

22. Mother X
    Mother X February 24, 2014 at 11:03 am |

I continued writing about the last night my daughter lived with me–the night she didn’t come home.

“In trying to remember that night, I’ve misplaced a bit of time. In not wanting to go back, I got ahead of myself.”

“And why has it taken almost two months to describe fifteen minutes?”

23. Jane Thrive
    Jane Thrive February 24, 2014 at 1:36 pm |

Survive, Live, Thrive
    My latest entry on the adventure of full time working single mom of two. Having left an abusive marriage three years ago, how do you pick up the pieces and heal? It’s a journey of love and laughter and tears, to say the least. <3

24. Sam B
    Sam B February 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm |

Over at Fit, Feminist, and (Almost) Fifty:

Can the UFC handle a female Roy Nelson? Or is it all Rouseys?

Why don’t journalists tell us the weights of female athletes?

and

A picture is worth a thousand words?