Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Heather says:

This week I went on a bit of a rant about the hypocrisy of anti-choice protesters.

Then I decided to try my hand at a feminist advice column!

2. Gappy says:

Written from a heterosexual woman’s point of view, and not about onesies or starfishing, I promise!

5 Reasons Why Being Single Is Better For Women: http://www.gappytales.com/2014/03/5-reasons-why-being-single-is-better-for-women.html

3. I wrote about:

What being a fat woman is really like – Cosmo published a surprisingly respectful interview with two fat women, and a bunch of bloggers, including me, decided to answer the questions as well.

Internalized fat-phobia within fat-pos spaces = the worst.

4. Andie says:

It turns out March is Colorectal Cancer awareness month so I decided to spread some awareness.

5. C.D. says:

Annoyed by the common trope of antidepressants being the “easy way out” of mental illness, I wrote about my own experience taking antidepressants.
    With a lot of Pride and Prejudice gifs… for Reasons.

6. Octavia says:

shooting dinosaurs with guns, teaching To Kill a Mockingbird as a distraction from family court hell

7. rimonim says:

My fiancee and I are doing a series of posts about how my trans status affects our relationship.

Other People’s Perceptions: Have we always been read as a straight couple, or was there a shift? My response to a reader’s question.

Alma on Other People’s Perceptions: My fiancee shares her side of the story.

8. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I wrote a post on my continuing research into the work of Laura Ingalls Wilder: The World in the 19th Century.

9. This last week, Michael Dunn, who killed unarmed black teenager Jordan Davis, compared himself to a rape victim, and Paula Deen compared herself to gay football player Michael Sam. I wrote about their perceived victimhood and how it is that they see accountability as comparable to actual injustice.

I also commented on Rosa Brooks’s piece on how women should lean out instead of leaning in. I talk about my experience supervising men and women in the same positions and how sexism makes it harder for women to lean out without men getting on board.

Building off a piece at The Root about a white woman wanting to “get rid of her inner George Zimmerman,” I shared some thoughts on ways to deal with our own racism and would love to hear other people’s ideas.

10. Jecca says:

Women in the media AND in the Olympics this week on

11. Guest blogger HC Playa is talking about First and Third person Point of View on my blog.

Peter Tupper is guest blogging about intersectionality and the future at the Inkstained Succubus blog.

And I share some of the best writing advice ever. (as usual, in the comments, the D-Man misses the point)

12. Listen in on our discussion with The Vodka Press podcast host, Zoe Grimm, about unslutting our culture.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Toinette

13. Anna says:

Certain claims about “libido control” inspired our resident pro-choice pharmacist to expound upon the myriad non-contraceptive reasons someone might consider hormonal birth control. Did you know that 14% of people — and 82% of teens — taking birth control pills say they use them for non-contraceptive reasons? The Pill does so much more than prevent pregnancy, such as treating certain gynecological conditions and reducing risk for some cancers.

Also, read about Scheidler v. NOW, a three-case series at the Supreme Court that pitted an anti-abortion activist against the National Organization for Women, and arose from the atmosphere of violence that increasingly characterized the pro-life movement. The anniversaries of two of these cases was just last week!

14. Kristin says:

Creative writing workshops can be affirming, oppressive, or both at once. Here’s a peek into the history of creative writing workshops: The creative writing workshop from hell.

15. Gretchen says:

Cats discussing women grooming, inspired by an article on NBC’s Today web site about how “obsessed” American women are about their appearances

16. Sue says:

I found a mini-blogging challenge for #whm so I give you My Family Herstory Part One and Part Two (other parts forthcoming.)

I also compiled a list of Five Interesting Housecleaning Related Links in response to a question about how we divide the housework.

Reminiscense about being a little singer-songwriter/Marion Zimmer Bradley fangirl again

17. KiaraDiana says:

Today I launched my feminist blog for college women and men that claim they don’t need feminism. Today’s post cover the Oscars and you can follow me on Facebook or Twitter.

18. Kyosuke says:

Jared Leto didn’t deserve his Oscar.

19. Hannah says:

If I read one more article claiming that women didn’t work before the 1950s I’m going to… I’M GOING TO BLOG AT THEM.

20. Athenia says:

Last summer, a popular internet comedian/critic, Nostalgia Critic, decided to “review” Sailor Moon. Fans weren’t too pleased with the review, but when I finally sat down to watch it, it was much worse than I expected. It’s a vivid example of victim blaming, xenophobia and rape culture.

Blame It On the Sluts: Nostalgia Critic’s Review of Sailor Moon

• Aerinea says:

I am very disappointed with the Nostalgia Critic. And I’d forgotten how bad the dub of Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon was.

21. Natalie says:

This week I analyzed Rep. Lockman’s horrific rape quote from a feminist literary perspective.