Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Heather says:

This week I compiled some lists of awesome women to celebrate women’s history month.

I also asked the question “What is a ‘virgin,’ anyway?

2. socbaker says:

New this week at Human with Uterus:

Homebirth and Social Control, an analysis of forced homebirth in the Christian Patriarchy movement

Breastfeeding, Politics, and Digging for Truth, a discussion of the new sibling study

Abortion, Homebirth, and Autonomy, on the new birthing center in Buffalo’s abortion clinic

3. Kyosuke says:

Couple of things I’d love to promote:

Sorry, Straight Gals, I’ll kiss you but I won’t date or sleep with you: pretty much an overview of why as a lesbian trans women, I am very hesitant about seeing women who identify as straight.

The case for (limited) expansion of immigration to Japan: Not exactly feminist, per se, but definitely calling for inclusivity for ethnic minorities in Japan. Generally my thoughts on the issues with the Japanese economy, population decline, and how immigration can help.

4. Rachel says:

New this week on keepinitglassy:

My take on the “Ban Bossy” campaign, headed up by Cheryl Sandberg, Anna Maria Chavez, and Condoleezza Rice. What do highly publicized campaigns like these do to the feminist movement, and should they be receiving the media attention they do? Are they more harmful than good?

My take on the future of higher education, and its impact (if any) on social justice issues. Is academic work, at its intersection with human rights issues, really for the people it addresses? Are we making the world a better place for everyone, or just elite circle?

A reflection on my experience in Iceland, and how the image of meeting around the holiday table becomes indicative of a larger social tendency in the country as a whole.

And so much more! Follow me at keepinitglassy.blogspot.com, or leave a comment!

-R

5. Thomas the Train is a misogynist, Majoring in English is for rich people, Tips on chatting and making cookies without flax seeds, and yes, a new fb page.

6. kasabian224 says:

Heeey folks. I launched a kickstarter for a game I’ve been working on for a while now. It is about witches.

7. BroadBlogs says:

One of my students talks about how she gained awareness of her unconscious, internalized sexism against women, and how she got over it:

How I Overcame My Misogyny

Women are pressured by some to objectify themselves. They are pressured by others to be modest–and is that just another form of objectification? How might we escape the dilemma?

Which is Worse: Objectification? Or Modesty?

8. Jem says:

This week’s piece is called The Freedom of the Streets: Men and Street Harassment, suggesting that most men actually understand the issues involved perfectly well in their own lives, until they’re asked to extend the rights and emotions they take for granted to women.

9. rimonim says:

Letting Go Of The Lesbian Smile. While I had seen them and thought we were members of a common tribe, they had looked back and seen some drunk dude with really horrible gaydar.

Can Men Ask For Safe Space? In my circles, it’s commonplace for women to express greater comfort around other women. Is it socially acceptable for a man to say he’s more comfortable around other men?

10. Sue says:

CN: transphobia, racism, classism, sexism, The racist-transphobia meme folks are back, defying FB with their posts and lecturing us about lacking a sense of humor.

I wrote several pieces on the murders of Houston lesbians of color, Brittany Cosby and Crystal Jackson. Cosby’s father has been arrested in connection to these crimes. Something I think that particularly needed to be said within the LGBTQ community – the lives of Brittany and Crystal as queer women of color mattered. We need to hear that more often and not just when people are dead.

On a positive note, my investigation into the Pittsburgh St. Patrick’s Day Parade led to a formal statement by organizers that they would not discriminate against LGBTQ participants. This was quoted as well in several local papers and picked up by the AP so next year’s application should go smoothly. Right?

Thanks for reading my blog and supporting my blogging. :-)

11. Anna says:

You’re at risk for pregnancy. You had unprotected sex. Or maybe you forgot to take a birth control pill. And now you missed a period. Are you pregnant?

Read about home pregnancy tests, which are are readily available, inexpensive, and easy to take. Learn about how they work, how soon you can take one, and how to boost your chances of an accurate result!

12. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I wrote about teaching Audre Lorde’s essay on using the Master’s Tools to dismantle the Master’s House: You Said What Now; Or, Teaching Audre Lorde

13. There’s a lot of rhetoric out there about everyone in the US having access to the same rights, but we know the reality is far different. It’s important to keep in mind as the income inequality debate gains steam. I wrote about 4 fundamental rights that are hard to come by if you’re poor.

In reaction to the Democratic loss in the FL-13 special election, I wrote about how Democrats should stop running from Obamacare and embrace a vision of providing affordable healthcare.

14. When we trust our structure, our whole body relaxes, expands, and breathes more easily. Knowing the details of our physical anatomy is surprisingly liberating.
    Sense Your Spine’s Support

15. Ria says:

Last week I learnt that I am a liberal feminist! http://roastedkeyboard.com/2014/03/12/identity-crisis-resolved-i-am-a-liberal-feminist/ sometimes trolls can do a world of good ;)

16. Kristin says:

I just published a collection of short stories I’ve been working on for, oh, twenty years. Definitely waited too long — none of the characters are texting.

Misfits from the Beehive State

17. Kelly Kend says:

I’m making a film about sexual assault on college campuses through the eyes of a gay man. You can view our project here:

I wrote about why here:

18. Athenia says:

Are you a feminist? Have you been reading SAGA? If not, you NEED to be reading SAGA! It’s like if Star Wars and Xmen had hot, passionate sex and had a beautiful feministy baby!

Anywho, here’s my story of How SAGA Won My Heart.

19. Natalie says:

I discussed my feelings about Fred Phelps being ill and my own struggle with internalized homophobia here