tigtog blogs a lot elsewhere, but here on Feministe she mostly does the tech support and feeds the giraffe. tigtog tweets in flurries @vivsmythe.

1. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking
    Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 19, 2014 at 9:18 am |

I valued this response to the reason, “What’s Your Excuse?” viral photo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dionna-ford/we-dont-need-an-excuse_b_4937228.html

2. delagar
    delagar March 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm |

A good post over on Jim Hines’ blog on the whole “Manufactured Outrage” claim: “Manufactured Outrage and Choosing To Be Offended.”

The entire post is great, but Hines’ take-down of a guy huffing about disrespectful women at the very end of the comments is just great.

3. khw
    khw March 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm |

“GENDER DISCOMBOBULATION: A Q&A with Ireland’s best-loved Drag Queen, MISS PANTI BLISS!

2014 has been some year for Panti Bliss. Following an appearance on Irish TV in which she named homophobic figures in the media, Panti found herself at the centre not only of a legal row, but also Ireland’s gay marriage debate. Her powerful speech on oppression has now been viewed by over half a million people worldwide, and she has spent the last few weeks in New York, working to highlight the exclusion of LGBTQ groups from the St. Patrick’s Day parade. Join us to listen to Miss Panti Bliss on gender discombobulation and accidental activism.”

25 March at 19:00 in EDT
    Next Week
    School of Canadian Irish Studies: Fr McEntee Reading Room, 1455 de Maisonneuve West, Room 1001.01 (10th Floor), Montreal

4. trans_commie
    trans_commie March 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm |

I get the impression that this place doesn’t have very many anti-capitalist folks, but I really loved this article on countering rape culture in leftist spaces: http://www.anarchistaffinity.org/2014/03/silent-no-longer-confronting-sexual-violence-in-the-left/

1. ldouglas
      ldouglas March 20, 2014 at 12:08 am |

While you’re right that I find the anarchist movement misguided, I actually thought that was a great article. I’m pretty active within the freethinker movement and there’s the same type of dynamic there; I’ve been really gratified to see increasing awareness of the necessity of dealing with these issues even in ‘progressive’ spaces. Thanks for sharing!

2. Kerandria
      Kerandria March 20, 2014 at 7:52 am |

I am definitely anti-capitalist, and I appreciate the link! <3

3. Donna L
      Donna L March 20, 2014 at 9:09 am |

Is there a word for someone who’s anti-capitalist, antil-fascist, anti-communist, and anti-anarchist? Because that’s me. They’re all no good.

1. trans_commie
        trans_commie March 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm |

Social democrat, perhaps?

2. Donna L
        Donna L March 20, 2014 at 3:58 pm |

(Perhaps “no good” is hyperbolic, but at least it seems that way to me in practice, no matter how wonderfully some of them might work in utopian ideal. Capitalism, and notions of invisible hands and free markets, are just as utopian in theory as the others, and I think just as dependent on an idealized and unrealistic view of human nature. I don’t believe in the invisible hand any more than I believe in the New Soviet Man.)

1. trans_commie
          trans_commie March 21, 2014 at 10:03 pm |

I understand what you mean, but I hope you understand I don’t believe in the New Soviet Man, either. I have no affinity with that kind of communism. The kind of communism I care about is called “communism” for technical reasons – but in all other ways anarchist communism (regardless of how utopian or idealistic it may be to others) completely differs from Stalinism, Maoism, Marxism-Leninism, etc.

2. trans_commie
          trans_commie March 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm |

(Sorry, I should note that we should take this to #spillover if we want to keep talking about this.)

3. Donna L
          Donna L March 21, 2014 at 10:55 pm |

Don’t worry, I understand that that’s not the kind of communism you mean!

3. Donna L
        Donna L March 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm |

Good thought, Allie. Because that probably is the closest to my viewpoint. That’s certainly what I would have been in Weimar Germany (and what my maternal grandparents were there); it’s what my grandfather’s family were on the Lower East Side at the turn of the 20th Century; and it’s pretty much what I was brought up to believe in.

4. Donna L
      Donna L March 20, 2014 at 4:04 pm |

And I liked that article you linked to.