Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Stacey, a former clinic escort, helped our patients for more than a year, and shares her thoughts in an incredibly powerful piece on why it’s so important to protect the buffer zone. You’ve probably heard of the buffer zone, the distance that anti-abortion protesters must keep between themselves and patients, and it is one of the tools we can use to protect our patients’ dignity and safety. Is it any surprise, then, that the buffer zone is under attack?

(CN for harassment of patients seeking abortion as well as potential violence.)

* * *

Also, a couple of weeks ago I posted a link here to a piece on Margaret Sanger, which provoked conversation about Sanger’s involvement with the eugenics movement. I was reluctant to engage in discussion about it here, because “extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread” is discouraged by the moderators. I hope the conversation that took place on our website was productive, but apologize for any role I played in upsetting people with problematic content.

2. socbaker says:

New at Human with Uterus this week:

The Abortion Pill and the Politics of Health
    an examination of states’ restriction on access to mifepristone

3. Inspired by Cara Hoffman’s op-ed in The New York Times, I wrote a post about how Hollywood needs to start giving equal screen time to female war heroes.

It also got published on the Feministing Community blog!

4. trans_commie says:

This week I wrote about the appropriation of oppression. Basically, this entry is an elaboration on the social justice concept of oppression. In this entry, I not only elaborate on what appropriation is in the general sense, but I also provide examples of appropriation, namely white feminists co-opting black POC’s experiences of anti-black racism for the sake of highlighting institutionalized misogyny and people making rape jokes whose punchline is the victim’s suffering.

5. Jem says:

Buxom Wenches: Power and Sexiness – this week’s piece starts from the fact that “buxom” originally meant “obedient”, and discusses how the sexual fantasies which our culture deems “safely” transgressive (saucy maid, sexy secretary, hot nurse, etc) often make no distinction between sexiness and being at an institutionalised power disadvantage to men.

6. Sue says:

My community center launched a personal care closet this week so I wrote a piece for HuffPo “10 Things You Can’t Buy With Food Stamps

I also wrote up an appeal to fund the personal care closet.

A former Deputy Secretary in the Dept of Public Welfare (in PA) told me I was desecrating the Catholic Church by attending a fish fry & compared me to anti-Semite attending a seder.

Please don’t call me a writer.

7. Jen Schradie says:

Nip Alert, Strippers and Pussies – some of the “jokes” in a new television comedy series, Silicon Valley, that airs tonight. I attended the premiere this week in a Silicon Valley theater and met some of the actors on the red carpet. I wrote a piece on the representation of women in the first few episodes of HBO’s Silicon Valley.

8. Hannah says:

Very Simple Concepts: getting told not to get raped hacks me off. Or, Ladies! Don’t risk spending any time alone with your boyfriend – he is statistically more likely to rape you than anyone else is!

Privilege, illustrated: why I have not get shot in the face on the tube, or arrested for carrying condoms.

ABORTIONS ACTUALLY SET BABIES ON FIRE! Except in reality, where they don’t do that.

9. Heather says:

This week I wrote about the whole #nomakeupselfie for cancer trend, and why I think that criticisms of it are sometimes unfair.

10. delagar says:

At delagar, I wrote a post about the SF/F magazine I edit for, Crossed Genres, the work we’re doing with under-represented writers and characters, and why you might want to help support that work: Kickstart Crossed Genres.

(We just became a SFWA qualifying market, by the way. Yay us!)

11. Busy week, but not much of substance.

How do I dress for an adult convention? (just a picture, no sexual content)

Grumbling about physiological effects of magick.

Evil cake is not a lie, but it is evil. (recipe)

And the socks I knitted for my youngest.

12. Wendy Lyon says:

Why feminism needs to get past its Swedophilia and make an issue about Sweden’s rape law, which is allowing rapists to go free by claiming not to have recognised the victim’s obvious “no”: We need to talk about Sweden’s problem with rape and consent.

13. BroadBlogs says:

Spring Break this week, so I posted reruns from before I was posting to Feministe. A couple pieces on getting in touch with authentic sexuality.

Authentic Sexuality v “Dressing Like Prostitutes”

Real vs Cartoonish Sexuality

14. Three-time World Slam Champ takes over my classroom for three days and twenty-seven kids grades 6-12 lose their mind, rise up, perform it out like this might be their last chance ever.

And facebook. Facebook is like my secret other life.

15. rimonim says:

How To Ask About Gender On Forms. When forms ask for a sex/gender, they should accommodate everybody. How would you ask the gender question? Great points from readers in the comments.

Dances With Strangers. At the suicide hotline, I have two tools: voice and silence.

16. jecca says:

Feminism, anti-feminism, sexualisation, consent… It’s all here on wishbone and a new music post coming soon! Come and take a look?? ;)

17. kelly kend says:

I’m KickStarting a documentary about what happens when people don’t understand the meaning of consent and how myths about rape feed into survivors blaming themselves.

“Yeah Maybe, No is a story that cuts through the anger and fear that surrounds sexual violence to let a survivor tell his story in his own words. Blake is a college student who is processing his past unhealthy relationship on a college campus facing controversy over how it handles sexual assault cases. Blake struggles with identifying his experience as a crime and looks to draw a line between rape and a “bad situation.” Due to self-blame, that line shifts and blurs, which complicates getting support from loved ones. The people around him expect a crime drama, but that is far too black and white for Blake to relate to. Through compassion and empathy, we take an honest look at a deeply troubling problem.”

18. Kat Murry says:

This week on the blog, I wrote about living in the in-between, “It was just then, at the end of everything” –

19. Hannah says:

I’m stuck in the spam queue – please help!

• tigtog says:

This post is on full moderation actually, Hannah. We’ve had a few too many instances of people getting caught up in extended discussions of a link here at Feministe rather than on the blog in question, which is explicitly against our guidelines, but it keeps on happening. So that means everybody has to wait until a moderator is on deck to clear the moderation queue.

20. Tori says:

I’ve only had time to do a quick recap of the Body Love Conference, but I hope to have more posts forthcoming soon!

21. Scopophilia says:

I covered Fantasy Festival Nights (Rigor Mortis, The Sacrament, Enemy, The Green Inferno):

and chose 5 weekend links:

22. Carrie says:

I recently started a blog providing commentary and insight into media/entertainment/movies/music/pop culture, etc etc related to women. Make it work for you, not against you!!!