Guest Bloggers are most welcome to diversify the range of views and experiences presented on this blog. The opinions of Guest Bloggers do not necessarily represent other bloggers on Feministe: differing voices are important to us. Readers are cordially invited to follow our guidelines to submit a Guest Post pitch for consideration.

1. Marksman2000
    Marksman2000 June 4, 2014 at 4:02 pm |

the head of a giraffe against a bright blue sky: its mouth is pursed sideways
    [Moderator note – totally off-topic content has been snipped. Even more unacceptable when it’s the first comment on a post.]

2. Andrew
    Andrew June 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm |

Fun and educational! It might be more suited for a less advanced demographic than Feministe’s main target audience, but as someone who does a fair amount of sex education, I appreciate the “mashing” effort of putting two things that don’t usually go together to reach a far wider audience.

Nice work!

1. Echo Zen
      Echo Zen June 5, 2014 at 1:43 pm |

I’m more or less satisfied with the design too, makeshift as it is. So nowadays I’m worrying more about the content. Lately topics have been sex-related, but I’m thinking over summer of focusing more on sexism in tech and geek culture — for example, online harassment of women or videogame depictions of female characters. I personally would like to do breaking-news sexism, like the row over TechWeek’s microaggression’s against women this week, but we’re limited by the fact that episodes take about a month to produce and then run through mod approval.

Anyway, tech and geek culture would probably make more sensible themes for the vlog, since the vlog’s already geek-oriented by virtue of us playing videogames whilst vlogging. Yeah, it’s one of those ideas you can only determine is a good or bad by trying first… but I’m obviously open to comments and opinions!

1. Andrew
        Andrew June 5, 2014 at 2:39 pm |

Perhaps a “semi” topical format. Feminist-related topics in the news that won’t go away in a month.
        Sexism is gaming, pop culture are great because those are ongoing topics and continually resurface.

With all the summer superhero movies coming out, it’s a great opportunity to speak on the dearth of strong leading superheroines, e.g. lack of a Wonder Woman movie after all these years, Black Widow movie(which would be amazing) getting stalled over and over, while new Iron Man and Capt America movies keep getting made.

I for one would love to see a Scarlet Witch film. She is one of my favorite and most powerful female characters, with a strong self of self.

2. Echo Zen
        Echo Zen June 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm |

I think a semi-topical format would work. And you’re right, feminist (or anti-feminist) news isn’t going to just vanish in a month. Sexism is a lot more interesting to me personally than sex, which isn’t really interesting in and of itself until it intersects with prejudice, i.e. the ways society punishes people for having any sex that doesn’t involve heterosexual husbands.

I’m also thinking of dropping the Q&A aspect of the vlog, or paring it down so we don’t directly address people’s questions. By this I mean instead of videos based on specific questions, we do videos based on what people email to us generally. People always write stuff like “Do a video on this thing that just happened, please!” And we think to ourselves, “Well, that’s not a question, so there’s nothing to answer?” Perhaps it’s time to reconsider that aspect, but I have to think about it first…

3. Angiportus
    Angiportus June 15, 2014 at 10:59 am |

Any effort to smash a pernicious myth is to be applauded.
    When I first encountered a fictional scene of the gruesome sort alluded to, I was sickened beyond belief. Subsequent accounts by those who say it really happens sometimes did not help. If anyone hurts or bleeds, someone is not doing it right.
    A human being is not bubble-wrap, not something to rip open like a package of crackers. If there is some malformation that could cause any sort of problem, this should be fixable in a more humane way, before sexual activity starts.
    Thank you for helping restore truth.

4. madmathematicienne
    madmathematicienne June 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm |

Not that it detracts much, but one minor correction– sometimes the hymen does completely cover the vaginal opening, requiring minor surgery. More frequently, the hymen covers enough of the vaginal opening to make it difficult or impossible to use tampons; left untreated, having sex would indeed tear the hymen, through no fault of either party.