Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the latest signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Hey All!

I have just launched a campaign to help fund a fashion installation project of mine, Sometimes It’s Hard to be a Woman. I address issues of domestic violence and dating based sexual assault through this elegant and heavily hand embroidered installation and garments.

This are big and important issues and we all need to find ways to address them in our own ways. This is mine. Help support me, I want to be there to help support other projects too! #yesallwomen

Take Care

Heather Marie Scholl
    The campaign

2. Three from me this week!

The Blame Game – We Need to Stop Blaming Women for Gender Inequality :
    in which I discuss 3 patriarchal myths that attempt to convince us that gender inequality is really the fault of women’s own behaviour and choices.

On #YesAllWomen, and the Discomfort of ‘Good Men’

When Women and Girls are Attacked, We Blame Everything Except Male Violence

3. I wrote about:

Fighting fat-phobia matters. For so many reasons other than body image – after reading about a couple in the UK who were arrested on suspicion of child neglect because their son was fat.

“Obesity apocalypse”: the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, and also a great band name.

4. Sue says:

A local museum devoted to cartooning and comics faced backlash for supporting Pgh’s PrideFest.

On a related note, Dan Savage’s “Hump Tour” was cancelled in Pittsburgh because of zoning laws about adult theaters. Another theater in a different municipality picked up the dates. I find this timing to be odd.

My contribution to the Blogging for LGBTQ Families event.

Contributing blogger Trish Mifflin has some thoughts on the Laverne Cox cover of Time magazine and the “tipping point” concept.

For fun, we are giving away 5 copies of the latest single by openly queer singer-songwriter Ariana Castelli Anyone in the continental US can win.

Finally, I apologized to the Mayor Pittsburgh, Bill Peduto.

5. Heather says:

I recently re-read Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson and wrote a review.

Speaking of books, I’m always updating my feminist reading list, and welcome suggestions and recommendations!

6. Kat Murry says:

I wrote about the decision-making process involved in pursuing an autism diagnosis as an adult: “In search of a coherent narrative” — http://wp.me/p39G3C-sD

7. rimonim says:

Every Piece of Chalk. Spiritual questions related to the artifice of the ego or self speak directly to the trans experience. But which self is false?

8. A politician in OH says he opposes IUDs just because it’s his “personal belief.” It’s refreshing when anti-choice politicians say what they actually mean.

More than half of members of Congress are millionaires, and we get the policy you would expect from people who don’t understand poverty. We need poor people in Congress.

There are some good suggestions going in the comments about who you would put on feminist trading cards.

9. Anna says:

Here in Arizona, triple-digit temperatures are upon us, and many of us are planning to flee the state. Check out our blog for advice on taking birth control pills in different time zones, switching to long-acting contraception, and planning ahead when packing your suitcase.

10. Tori says:

I wrote a little exploring the idea of disclosing one’s disability status to (potential) sexual and/or romantic partners.

And on feeling included during online glasses shopping… and how different that is from my general clothing and bodily experience.

11. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I wrote about contempt for YA Literature, specifically in the form of Hating on The Fault in Our Stars.

12. Molly Rose says:

Hiya!

I’ve written about a slam poetry night I went to where the guy who won, who would be playing in the royal albert hall, recited a poem about his Nice Guy Syndrome!

AND THEN… I completely fed the troll that is Gavin McInnes’ in a response to his “Hey ladies! Short hair is rape” piece.

13. Alison Kinney says:

I published this essay in New Criticals, about the history of police brutality focusing on women activists’ breasts:

Breasts: Suffragists, Suffering and Cecily McMillan

14. Katie K says:

I explored what ‘being kind to yourself’ concretely looks like, and how to get past the buzzword quality of the phrase. How to Be Kind to Yoursef

15. Spiral Jetty Club says:

[Moderator Note: comment and URL deleted due to length and content - please follow our guidelines for linking i.e. a few lines summarising items of general progressive political interest]

16. Nahida says:

DO YOU ALL REMEMBER ME I AM BACK.

Okay, so super late, but–

remember those photographs of men in pin-up poses? I have THINGS TO SAY! http://thefatalfeminist.com/2014/06/10/critique-and-complacency-in-examining-gender-as-a-performance/

Also, here take some more male bashing: http://thefatalfeminist.com/2014/04/08/beauty-fades-and-other-ridiculous-things-men-say/