Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the latest signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. braak says:

Hello! I am working on this production of a play called Empress of the Moon: The Lives of Aphra Behn. It’s about Aphra Behn, noted 17th century British playwright and spy. We’re performing it in the Capital Fringe Festival in Washington, DC this July, so we’re trying to raise some money for travel expenses for the actresses to drive them down from Philadelphia.

Empress of the Moon

But also we’re just trying to get the word out to anyone who is interested in stories of feminism, espionage, and swordfights. Maybe someone here is interested in those things!

2. ninjanurse says:

Astronomy happens whether you believe it or not. Time to put the ‘Sol’ back in Solstice and enjoy Midsummer, the total no-stress Pagan holiday–
    Summer Solstice 2014

3. Kat Murry says:

I wrote about the self-doubt that comes with seeking a clinical label (“maybe this is all just terribly silly” feelings) — “On labeling myself and wondering why I feel silly” – http://t.co/3d07xbnSaC

4. rimonim says:

Rimonim On Sex. How does being trans affect the sexual dimension of my relationship? I can see ways my trans status has made sex more difficult, and ways it has made sex easier and more enjoyable.

My fiancee will share her side of the story later this week.

5. Anna says:

Arizona might currently be infamous for abortion restrictions, legislation targeting people of color and LGBT individuals, and more, but there are tons of activists here who are fighting for a better state. Read about six things Arizona is doing right, from the Capitol to the Pascua Yaqui Nation, and from Tempe to Tucson! Across the state, communities are recognizing the importance of comprehensive sex education, affirming transgender rights, promoting body acceptance, and fighting against domestic violence!

Also, a collection of headlines in recent reproductive justice news.

6. Véronique says:

Long time since I wrote in my blog, Fromage, and even longer since I shared here. Femme-tastic choir is about Femme City Choir, of which I have been a member since last autumn. We had our first show a week ago. Working and playing with young femmes has been amazing for this old femme, and there will be more posts to come.

7. BroadBlogs says:

One of my students wrote about her two grandnieces who were born intersexed and then surgically assigned female. They are still young and one of them is coping well and the other is not. She wishes we recognized more than one sex.

I will write a follow-up post on how this relates to social construction of gender issues.

Nature Creates More Than Two Sexes

8. Jem says:

A couple pieces by me in response to recent media discussions on sexual assault which seemed to suggest it was bad “sexual etiquette”:

Men Aren’t From Mars, and Sexual Assault Isn’t Bad Manners

“She Can Always Tell Me To Stop” – on sexual assault and “just trying something new”

9. Tori says:

I wrote Yes, These Yoga Pants Do Make My Butt Look Big in response to someone feeling the need to point this out to me on the street.

10. The violent misogyny and rape culture prevalent in the last couple of weeks are a reminder of the toll of fighting injustice and why we need to take care of ourselves.

Speaking of which, I read George Will’s column on sexual assault so you don’t have to.

11. Sue says:

My thoughts on how to create more LGBTQ equality in Pittsburgh

A local grocery chain is fundraising the the register for the Little Sisters of the Poor – one of the groups suing the federal government over mandated birth control under the ACA.

CN: transphobic violence, crime, hate crime

While an arrest was made in the murder of Cleveland’s Brittany Kidd-Stergis, yet another trans woman of color was murdered in Baltimore. Her name was Kandy Hall.

Finally, I wrote about some precious objects – my first babydoll, my grandmother’s “antique” chair and my great-grandmother’s rosary (she wasn’t Catholic.)

12. Shameless graduation blogging, with pictures: I am a Master of Theology!

And I had a few things to say about a particular critique of the nuns (LCWR) by the bishops (CDF): “When taken unreflectively”? Since when is that the standard?

13. In honor of Father’s Day: An Open Thank You Letter to the Person I Procreated With

Happy Father’s Day, single moms!

14. Wendy Lyon says:

Swedish courts say it’s ok for businesses to discriminate against Asian women, because prostitution. Sex workers are still targeted under the racist Swedish model

15. Molly Rose says:

I wrote about Ileana Jimenez, The Feminist Teacher, and how her gender studies classes could potentially counteract the huge sexist lad culture that is ever-present here in the UK in a piece called Do FeMENists mean an end to lad culture and gang mentality in men?

And for those of you who love female punk music, I wrote about why Poly Styrene from X Ray Spex is my hero.

Molly xx

16. The official blog of IJFAB, the International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics.

We feature regular posts by scholars and social justice advocates on topics pertaining to feminism, LGBT issues, women, their health and bodies, public health, and much more. Please stop by and leave your thoughts for our authors in the comments section! Currently we have a great sequence of pieces on fatness and body image with a few in the works on depictions of women in film.

The blog can be found at http://www.ijfab.org/blog.

17. Nahida says:

As long as patriarchal colonialist powers come into play, objectivity isn’t objective.