Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the latest signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Nahida says:

Why We Need Married Heroines (in novels & other media)

Also sidenote (story?) reflective thing about Lilith and creation

2. ninjanurse says:

Get your psychic weather report here! Why leave home without knowing what’s shaking in the Zeitgeist? Read the Tarot Daily Dot Connector and be prepared and prescient!

3. BroadBlogs says:

Where there’s a conflict between the rights of fictional bodies and actual bodies, surely the latter should win out.

Will the Rights of Fictional “Persons” Trump Actual People?

• BroadBlogs says:

I should add that this involves the Hobby Lobby v women’s reproductive rights/religious rights (you might say) Supreme Ct decision that will soon come out.

4. Anna says:

It’s Men’s Health Month, which gives us an excuse to write about Gardasil. All sexually active people are at risk for genital warts, regardless of gender. Furthermore, oral contact with female genitalia can increase risk for certain types of oral cancers, and receiving anal contact from a penis can increase risk for anal cancer. The good news is that the virus that causes genital warts and these cancers has a mortal enemy: a vaccine called Gardasil, which gives you a shot of prevention regardless of your gender or sexual orientation.

5. Andie says:

Missed it last week, so the one post is a bit old

How come we don’t see movies about dorky girls winning over the hot dude (you know, without undergoing a makeover)?

I read a gross article on Facebook, because what else is new? (NSFW content note: Oral sex)

6. Véronique says:

Have you ever been stopped at a police roadblock on your way home from a night out? A gift from the goddess concerns a lesson learned about drinking safely.

7. rimonim says:

Alma On Sex. My fiancee discusses how my trans status has affected our sex life.

Obsessions Observed. As a kid, I obsessively repeated number sequences in my mind. If I failed to repeat the pattern correctly, I knew my mother would die.

8. Hillary Clinton’s awkward answer to a question about racism against President Obama is a reminder that (like a lot of white people) politicians need to get more comfortable talking about race.

Mychal Denzel Smith at Feministing shares a story that shows the lasting damage that rigid gender roles can do.

9. Father’s Day Stuff

Cosplay, ca 2004

CN: Fictional violence, serial killing
    I need a new title for my mystery novel. Please suggest. You could get a free ebook copy of it.

CN: BDSM
    I’m participating in the Starry Nights Blog Hop for the SF Romance Brigade. There is a free excerpt (hence the CN), a contest with lots of SF ebooks and a $100 Amazon gift card, and you can get one of my books free just for commenting. Other authors are offering other goodies.

I’m also on the Summer Lovin’ blog hop. Again, excerpts, $75 Amazon gift card and a free book. Plus other authors’ offerings.

10. Heather says:

Last week I was helping a friend sort through her daughter’s baby clothes to figure out which would be appropriate for her son, who’s arriving in September. This got us talking about the issues surrounding gendered baby clothes.

11. Tori says:

Sex Takes Spoons — On the intersection of sex and disability.

12. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I talk about the books I am reading (most SF): Books I’m Reading.

13. Kat Murry says:

I wrote about how my lived experiences as an autistic woman inform my research: “Autistic in academia (or how I ended up inadvertently studying myself)” —

14. Eden says:

Here’s an academic paper I wrote on how women’s voting rights encouraged desegregation movements in polling places and public schools:

15. Sue says:

CN: Discussion of violence, sexual assault, transphobia. An arrest in the 2012 assault and murder of two lesbians in Houston.

CN: Violence, description of murder, picture of murder scene. Sadly, the brutal murder of a trans woman of color in Florida – her name was Yaz’min Shancez

Talking about the new “feminist romcom” Obvious Child and a giveaway of a “one night stand gift pack” (includes lip gloss.)

I worked on a project with Pittsburgh’s Mayor to create a PSA for National HIV Testing Day (June 27) and I think it worked out well. What do you think?

16. Molly Rose says:

Did a piece on sexism in video games in relation to assassin’s creed called Representing Women is “too much effort”