1. Brett
    Brett June 26, 2014 at 1:14 am |

It’s depressing. There’s a whole stretch of the South that’s going to have limited abortion access to anyone who doesn’t live in a major city, and even then they’re going to be swamped to the point of waiting lists for weeks.

I hope some of the clinics stay open for abortion referral and miscarriage management, even if they can no longer perform abortions themselves. People are going to need both, especially since the restrictions will likely lead to more women attempting self-abortions with medication they got online or from alternative sources in person (just like much of Latin America and especially Brazil).

2. stella
    stella June 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm |

I’m reminded of a provision of the voting rights act that put additional requirements/supervision of new voting laws in places that have a history of voter discrimination. Wouldn’t it be lovely if there was a similar law in place that applied to places known for fake “safety regulations” that are really just attempts to illegally ban abortion?

1. Angel H.
      Angel H. June 27, 2014 at 10:49 am |

You mean the provision of the Voting Rights Act that the Supreme Court struck down last year?

3. Kerandria
    Kerandria June 27, 2014 at 7:00 am |

I, for one, am glad. I mean, I just feel so safe now, doncha know?

(That was sarcasm. I live in a pro-forced birth state. Fucking shitheels.)

4. TimmyTwinkles
    TimmyTwinkles June 27, 2014 at 2:31 pm |

Well, while the SJ crowd was tackling unbelievably important issues like ableism and cultural appropriation, the Evangelicals were getting shit done. Now one of the most important rights that feminists fought for and won is being dismantled. Now that’s problematic.

1. Li
      Li June 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm |

I was going to tackle you on this, but it’s a derail and I’m super exhausted, so instead I’m just going to say: We need a giraffe here.

[Thank you for sending a giraffe alert ~ mods]

1. TimmyTwinkles
        TimmyTwinkles June 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm |

the head of a giraffe against a bright blue sky: its mouth is pursed sideways

::: Look at you, caring about something I don’t care about! Behold as I take potshots at your unworthy cause and then flounce away! There’s the potshot, and here comes the flounce! :::

[Moderator note - ORIGINAL COMMENT CONTENT HAS BEEN FLUFFINATED]

5. dentclinics
    dentclinics June 28, 2014 at 3:09 pm |

instead of closing down all the abortion facilities atleast they would have implied new laws or safety regulations to those abortion clinics, recheck the qualifications of the doctors with World Health Organization, re-register all the clinics that perform abortions hence recognising the back door illegal. for instance if a girl tried to possess an prohibited abortion and winds up in an exceedingly essential state or mrs jones is experiencing a miscarriage, would not the legal abortion clinic be the primary place she thinks of?
    These square measure extremely simply makes an attempt to illicitly ban abortion therefore leading several to try prohibited self-abortions reception with medication bought on-line or from various sources face to face.