Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the latest signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

28 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. June 29, 2014 at 9:16 am

I reviewed Richard Ayoade’s “The Double:” http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/89873997781/the-double-2013

and selected this weeks weekend links: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/90247901761/the-weekend-5

2. Sue
    June 29, 2014 at 10:44 am

Content Note – violence against trans women, hate crimes. I reported on the tragic death of 28 year old Tiffany Edwards of Cincinnati, Ohio.

CN – gay profiteering, rightwing nut stalking queers, violence against queer people. This month was the Pittsburgh Dyke Trans March – I wrote an essay on why it matters and included a slideshow.

This sucks. The County of Allegheny and the City of Pittsburgh among other municipal employers in PA are considering rescinding domestic partner benefits for same sex couples who don’t get married. Allegheny County gave employees a months notice. Read my analysis of why this is unfair, unreasonable and what I hope to do about it.

CN – stalking, harassment. Finally, I wrote an open-letter to a man who has been “overly focused on me” for a long time. I discovered that after I blocked him everywhere I could and ignored him for months – he has been donating to EVERY SINGLE charitable cause I post on my blog. He makes donations of goods, too. What a creepy way to get my attention or maintain a relation or whatever. The day after I posted this (I can trace his IP address), he signed the petition above. OMG, what the hellz?

3. June 29, 2014 at 11:07 am

The lesson I see from Republican Cory Gardner’s op-ed in favor of over the counter birth control is that attacking candidates on their anti-choice records works.

After watching his new stalker-y music video I wonder, is anyone not creeped out by Robin Thicke?

4. June 29, 2014 at 11:11 am

Over at delagar, I write a post on my theory of The Reverse Ghandi.

Also, the kid and I have a Theological Discussion regarding certain issues attached to the belief that life begins at conception.

5. June 29, 2014 at 12:39 pm
  6. June 29, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Yesterday was the 45th anniversary of the eruption of the Stonewall Riots, which lasted for six days and helped establish the LGBT rights movement. Read about the police raid of a gay bar that escalated into an uprising, and about the gains we’ve made and the work that still needs to be done.

Thursday, the day the Supreme Court handed down their awful decision striking down buffer zones, was also the first anniversary of their invalidation of Proposition 8, which had banned same-sex marriage in the state of California. Since then, marriage equality has made monumental strides. We also pay some attention to the fight for marriage equality here in Arizona, both on a statewide level and on the Navajo Nation.

On Friday, the new romantic comedy Obvious Child opened nationwide. Two of our bloggers discuss the film, touching on how an “abortion comedy” is possible, what “gross-out” movies might have to do with bodily autonomy, and why a story about a woman getting an abortion without stigma needed to be told.

Lastly, if you need more links, we got links!

7. June 29, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Last week at Bitch Flicks, we looked at children’s programming through a feminist lens for Children’s Television Theme Week.

Here is a roundup of all of the posts, which include analyses of Sesame Street, Jem and the Holograms, She-Ra, Pepper Ann, Hey Arnold!, Anne of Green Gables, and more.

8. June 29, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Unrest Under the Umbrella. Responding to a reader who asks, “Have you ever come across someone within your own community who you strongly strongly disagreed with?”

The Future of Coming Out. In a marriage equality world, will LGBT people always need to come out?

9. June 29, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Since it’s festival season, there’s been a lot going around about cultural appropriation, so I figured I’d address some of the more prevalent comments that appear in comment sections on the topic.

10. June 29, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I have photos of last week’s HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC:

Comics, cosplay, lots of lady superheroes. :)

11. June 29, 2014 at 2:40 pm

In trying to do good, have you lost sight of the bigger picture? http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/06/23/mogo-bigger-picture/

14 children’s picture books exploring race and racism: http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/06/26/14-childrens-picture-books-exploring-race-racism/

12. June 29, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I wrote about “The Self-Criticism Machine,” as I explored its origins in my life and ways I’ve learned to slow it down — http://t.co/r5ZyAcbK9T

13. Jem
    June 29, 2014 at 3:49 pm

“Serious questions were raised today about the threat posed to our values by men” – imagining a world in which men were treated like any other social group

14. June 29, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I wrote a little on Working with Discomfort — public transit, creepiness, boundaries, and reactions.

15. June 29, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Not your ordinary newspaper horoscope– this daily installment comes with graphics and more added politics. You heard it here first–
    Tarot Daily Dot Decoder

16. June 29, 2014 at 9:52 pm

This week on Kiss My Wonder Woman:

The Edge of Tomorrow is good, but it would have been a lot better with more female characters

On Sailor Moon and feminine diversity

Recap of Game of Thrones 4×10 – the season finale

Tune in this week for a look at Snowpiercer, Orphan Black, and probably some other things as well.

17. June 30, 2014 at 1:34 am

A lot of people are excited about the new Verizon ad, “Inspire Her Mind.” I explain why I’m more ambivalent.

I also wrote an explainer discussing what will happen next in the wake of the Tenth Circuit’s decision holding that Utah’s same-sex marriage ban is constitutionally invalid. Hopefully helpful for lawyers and even more so for non-lawyers.

18. Pseudonym
    June 30, 2014 at 4:50 am

I am naming myself Executive Vice President of awesome.

• PrettyAmiable
      June 30, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Hahahaha I get it.

19. June 30, 2014 at 7:30 am

It’s Monday, June 30, and the Supremes are expected to rule on contraception. The cards are ominous–
    Tarot Daily Dot Decoder

20. June 30, 2014 at 8:55 am

I launched a site to house the comics I have been working on for the last eight or so months and ongoing.

bjduvall.com

21. June 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

After having attended the next in a series of weddings this past weekend, I’ve weighed my own feminist beliefs regarding the ritual.

Weddings, Not Nearly as Objectionable As You May Have Been Led to Believe.

22. June 30, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Hope Monday is ok to promote.

My comics site is here. Not intended to make me rich or anything, just a repository for whatever I feel like drawing at a given moment. Includes parodies of male feminists and an entire original LAW & ORDER episode in comix form.

• June 30, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hope Monday is ok to promote.

Sunday is just the day the thread goes up, it’s fine to self-promote on any day of the week.

23. June 30, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I have a blog called Real Life Advice For Everyday And Practical Use at http://therapyncounseling.blogspot.com

It focuses on the empowerment of women.

24. Troy
    July 2, 2014 at 2:45 am

the head of a giraffe against a bright blue sky: its mouth is pursed sideways

::: Hello! It’s really importaaaaaaaaaant that I give you this note from my boner which has the sads from feminism :::

[Moderator note - ORIGINAL COMMENT CONTENT HAS BEEN FLUFFINATED]]