Selfless Signal-Boosting (October)

Recommend someone else‘s writings/events/fundraisers etc: this signal-boosting thread is a complement to our long-standing Shameless Self-Promotion Sundays. Use this thread for ICYMI links and anything else you think other readers might find interesting.

Especially welcome are links to those who are blogging on issues Feministe has not recently addressed (the links can be to older posts, just something you’ve found recently relevant).  Please save the self-promotion links for Sundays – use this thread to let Feministe readers know about the other blogs you love to read, and activist/celebration events you long to attend, especially from those on the margins of the mainstream social justice communities, who tend to not get as much exposure as they should.

Netiquette Guidelines:

1. Effective signal boosting names the article author(s) and/or organising bodies.
  2. Include content notes/trigger warnings/NSFW alerts where needed as a courtesy to other readers.
  3. Keep this thread focussed on the linking – the idea is to make your comments on the other blogs being linked!  (seconding/thirding etc is fine, adding extra Content Notes for the benefit of other readers is a community service, linking further/related reading is always welcome, but keep it short and sweet)
  4. If you have Reasons to not leave a response on a recommended article, don’t just dump it on this thread  ~ analytical discussions about various links belong on the Open Thread or Spillover.

7 comments for “Selfless Signal-Boosting (October)

1. October 6, 2014 at 11:44 am
  2. October 8, 2014 at 1:59 pm

One of our bloggers, in anticipation of National Coming Out Day on Saturday, used our blog to come out to her parents. Her post is personal, honest, and engaging. She is also really nervous and would probably appreciate words of support!

My apologies if this is not an appropriate signal-boost — I didn’t write this piece, but I am involved with the blog, so I feel I’m treading a gray area between signal-boosting and self-promotion. However, since our blog doesn’t get many comments, because the piece went live this morning, and because I’d love for her to receive words of support, I decided to post it here rather than wait till Sunday.

• October 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for linking to her post, Anna. You’re being very scrupulous in treading that grey area, which is appreciated.

• Bille
        October 9, 2014 at 12:37 pm

The whole idea about the Kinsey Scale and “sexuality fluidity” from Anna’s post, might cause some controversy since many people would find that idea to be insulting. Especially when you single out a gender when it should represent ALL humans. For some people sexuality is fluid, but for many it’s not true.

• October 9, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I see that you have also made this objection on Care’s (Anna is not the author) original post on the advocatesaz.org website, where discussion really belongs. Further discussion on Feministe of that particular very small detail about what a then-teen used to say before fully acknowledging her own sexual orientation belongs on the #spillover thread if you want to expand.

3. October 10, 2014 at 11:14 pm

The Story of a Woman in Sexual Pleasure from Stories from the Belly, wonders why there is so much shame surrounding women’s sexuality.

She talks about being asked to read “My Vibrator Story” to a mixed-gender audience.

A great read.

4. someGuy
    October 20, 2014 at 9:02 pm

David Adams has a blog on HuffPo. Here’s his first article. A snippet….

Ray Rice essentially said that “Alcohol made me do it.” Before they have taken responsibility and committed themselves to real change, most abusers make excuses for their violence. “Alcohol made me do it,” is one of them, and is no less of an excuse than “She provoked me,” or “I lost control,” or “I was under a lot of stress.” But based on my survey of people who attend an abuser intervention program, most were not intoxicated when they hit, grabbed, or kicked their intimate partner. Studies have also found that most substance abusers do not abuse their partners.

Adams is co-founder of Emerge–a DV shelter located outside of Boston that is an abuser education program and national training center on domestic violence. If you’ve ever read Lundy Bancroft’s fantastic book “Why Does He Do That?” then you know that Adams’s work is similar in content and approach.