Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the latest signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe)), Content Notes are not needed if your post title is already descriptive of problematic content.
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

10 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. March 1, 2015 at 9:32 am

Hey everyone! I have a very exciting announcement! My sister and I have started a new feminism advocacy site called FEMVOCATES.

The focus is feminism around the world. This means that we are a totally inclusive site, and want to make sure that voices from around the world are heard.

After traveling RTW for over one year, I am currently volunteering in India at a women’s empowerment centre. I realized throughout my travels how important it is for us to work towards equality in every single country. We also provide information on other feminist sites, writers and NGOs.

I would love for you to check out FEMVOCATES and provide feedback.

We are also accepting Guest Posts.

Twitter. Instragram. Pinterest.

Happy Sunday!

2. Sue
    March 1, 2015 at 11:18 am

The search for Andre Gray enters it’s fifth month. We are struggling to raise funds for a reward fund and also to support his family. Andre is a 34 year gay black man in Pittsburgh.

I’m a long-time proponent that municipal government should hire and appoint publicly openly LGBTQ people to leadership roles. The Advocate seems to have my back.

3. March 1, 2015 at 11:28 am

We investigated herbal remedies for menstrual cramps — touted by the manufacturers and promoted by word of mouth, but low on scientific evidence. Unfortunately, herbal medicine and other dietary supplements aren’t evaluated by the FDA for safety or effectiveness, making it difficult to make informed decisions about your health.

And if you require more links to click, we have a headline roundup for you.

4. arakeala
    March 1, 2015 at 11:39 am

Some thoughts about telling (new) people in your life about traumatic experiences in your past. (No explicit descriptions in the post.)

5. March 1, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Inspired by reading a piece about the rise of women in podcasting, I shared 10 of my favorite podcasts hosted by women.

6. March 1, 2015 at 1:27 pm

This past week was National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. Every day had a different theme, and I covered them from Monday-Friday.

Eating disorders and diversity.

Eating disorders in athletes.

Bullying and eating disorders.

Dieting, ‘healthy eating’, and eating disorders.

Diagnosing eating disorders and lesser-known eating disorders.

7. March 1, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Do you know what visionary fiction is? Have you recently read a novella of a black woman’s journey into consciousness, creativity, and independence? Have you ever visited Rodia’s Towers? If you answered no to any one of these questions, you’ll enjoy reading this post and check out my novella. Here’s the link –

8. March 1, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Last week we had a theme week analyzing “Unlikable Women” in film and television. Here’s a roundup of all of the posts.

Today we posted Call for Writers: Asian Womanhood in Pop Culture for the March theme week.

9. March 2, 2015 at 10:13 am

I wanted to read something that explored Japanese feminism more recently, so here is a review of the book Broken Silence: Voices of Japanese Feminism

Japanese Feminism on the Eve of Sailor Moon