Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the latest signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe)), Content Notes are not needed if your post title is already descriptive of problematic content.
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

11 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Sue
    May 3, 2015 at 1:11 pm

CN: references to child abuse, pedophilia, religion In honor of National Mental Health Awareness Month, I blogged about the fact that my therapist is a nun.

A local performing arts group of LGBTQIA students made a video to support students at a local high school facing backlash from the National Day of Silence

My suggestion on five way to improve accessibility for special events.

2. May 3, 2015 at 1:56 pm

CN: Horror imagery at the link, skeletons. Six Sentence Sunday is becoming a thing on my blog.
    As is Work in Progress Wednesday

I have been crafting. A lot. With pictures. (CN on last picture, includes writing that deals with mental institution, also a picture of my son and his new car)

And I’m crafting, because I signed up for a craft fair. I’ve never done a spring one. Any help with a poll would be hot.

CN: Religion. And it’s Beltane.

A week round up

3. May 3, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Trigger Warning: suicide

I write a food blog, Willow Bird Baking, where stories and recipes take center-stage. May is Mental Health Awareness Month and my latest post is a compilation of “reasons to live”: things that might be positive, beneficial, and sustaining to think about in a time of crisis (plus a lemon cake recipe that is amazing.)

I’d love for you to come and leave your REASONS TO LIVE, and I’d also love if you shared this post with anyone who may want to tuck it in their back pocket for times of crisis: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2015/04/27/quick-lemon-iced-yellow-cake/

Thanks!

• May 7, 2015 at 1:42 am

That was a beautiful post! Thanks. I will definitely be baking up a storm.

4. Anna
    May 3, 2015 at 5:07 pm

In April, we shared “weird” STD facts, written about whether or not douching works (spoiler: no), debunked some pregnancy myths, and compiled a nice collection of headlines (including some good news this time!).

5. May 3, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I wrote for Baltimore this week: When I hear on the news “they are burning their own neighborhoods”

Also, I looked at how the act of feeding others became my tool for recovering from depression (part of ongoing memoir project): A Horse’s Pastry Chef

6. May 3, 2015 at 7:57 pm

I wrote this week about “thugs” and “rough rides” and the hypocrisy of selectively condemning violence in Baltimore.

I also had to spread the word about Inside Amy Schumer’s great skit that shows how to make smart, incisive jokes about rape culture.

7. May 4, 2015 at 11:42 am

Last week I was at the beach, and I ended up writing three beach-themed posts on feminist topics.

My Bikini Has Nothing to Do with You

Everybody at the Beach Has a Beach Body

Why Myrtle Beach Matters to Me as a Southern Feminist

Also, if you’re a feminist blogger, this Thursday I’m co-hosting a feminist link-up, The F-Word. The optional topic is feminism and religion, but you can link up any recent feminist post.

8. May 5, 2015 at 10:26 pm

A woman comes out of celibacy and becomes sexually liberated and empowered. I started the blog as a journal and I’m now working on a fictionalized version of my experiences.

9. May 7, 2015 at 1:40 am

This week SeargeantPolly addresses one of those horrible “how you know you’re dating awoman not a girl” lists that regularly do the social media rounds. https://sergeantpolly.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/are-you-dating-a-woman-or-a-girl-you-creep/

10. May 15, 2015 at 9:54 am

GUYSS!! A new book about Beate Sirota Gordon is coming out! Now there’s not one book about the woman who wrote Article 24 of the Japanese constitution, but two! TWO!

Here’s my review:
    Last Boat to Yokohama: A Feminist Book Review

Not only that, but if you are in the NYC area, I’ll be attending the book launch at the Rubin Museum on May 20th. Tickets are $15.

If you can’t attend that event, there’s another one at the Cornelia Street Cafe on May 19th. $8 cover, includes a drink. I won’t be attending this one, but it should be amazing as well!