Apologies, Explanations, and Temporary Sign-Off

Trigger warning: pregnancy-related health emergencies

Hello all,

I’m really, really sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I didn’t mean to. At first it was just an unfortunate concatenation of events (somebody should organize an F/SF con called CONcatenation, don’t you think?)–the site went down for a few days, I went away to a conference, etc. This happened right around the time I hit the third trimester, and the third trimester of pregnancy was really kicking my ass: I was going to sleep at 8 or 9 in the evening, even after taking a two-hour nap in the afternoon (I know, tough life, your hearts go out to me). I was starting to re-organize my routine and had hopes of getting on top of shit when this week just blew the legs out from under me.

On Monday, I experienced a very frightening placental abruption–it was the most terrifying thing I’ve ever gone through, there was so much blood. I had to go straight to the hospital, and while I and the baby are all right and eventually the bleeding subsided, they’re keeping me here until I deliver the baby. We’re hoping I make it to early June, which will be 37 weeks, so that the baby will be full-term. That’s not so far away, after all, so I have hopes that there will be no further incident. You’d think that being here would give me all the time in the world to catch up on stuff, but what I’m finding is that I’m so emotionally exhausted and changeable day by day (one day I’m fine and perky; the next I’m literally shaking as I think about how frightening Monday was; then I’m fine again; then I’m weeping and homesick) that I just can’t focus well enough even to read the news and essays I need to read to write a decent post, let alone write one. So I’m capitulating. I will try to start posting again in mid-July or so, provided all goes well (knock wood).

I am grateful for any number of things–there’s sheer luck: I wasn’t taking care of my godchildren when the bleeding started, so I could get directly into a cab without having to worry about childcare; it was 11 in the morning, so there was literally no traffic. I have an amazing doctor who’s affiliated with an excellent hospital, so I am very grateful to be here, and I’m very grateful that they’re keeping me here, because I’m in Brooklyn and the hospital is quite far away, and of course the fear about going home would be what if it happens again and I can’t get there in time? The person I was with when it started and the taxi driver who came to pick me up were both wonderful. And of course, I am in a good position vis-a-vis insurance, which is a sick and barbaric feature of this country that anybody should have to think about it during an emergency, but there it is, we do, and I didn’t have to think about it–I could just go straight to the hospital. I have family and friends coming to see me every day.

People talk about how bored I must be in the hospital for weeks, but I am welcoming the boredom: it is infinitely preferable to the fear.

Another thing I’m grateful for is that I was rejected by the Brooklyn Birthing Center. I volunteered at a birthing center about fifteen years ago, and have always been intrigued by feminist ideas of “reclaiming” childbirth. When I found out I was pregnant, I called the Brooklyn Birthing Center, told them a little about the pregnancy, my age, and the medications I was on and asked if they would take me on, and they said, with barely a pause “Absolutely not.” I was irritated at the time, but clearly they were taking my health much more seriously than I was, and because they stuck to the straight and narrow in their protocols, I’m at a world-class hospital with a doctor I know and like and have a good relationship with. I kind of want to send them a thank-you note. My best friend says this is why she doesn’t trust birthing centers; I said it makes me trust that one even more, because they knew to say no to me. Just an anecdote.

Anyway, I’m sorry for my absence, I miss the convos here very much. I hope to see you all again, so to speak, in a couple months.

19 comments for “Apologies, Explanations, and Temporary Sign-Off

1. May 17, 2015 at 11:05 am

Please take care of yourself, EG. My thoughts are with you.

2. PrettyAmiable
    May 17, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Hormones suck when you aren’t pregnant – I can’t imagine what its like when you are pregnant and experiencing a crisis. I’m glad you’re taking care of yourself and that you got through the scare! You’re in my thoughts. I’m in NYC, so if you need a random act of kindness, feel free to reach out! I’m good at grocery runs!

3. DragonBreath
    May 17, 2015 at 2:29 pm

You don’t need to apologize but you do need to take care of your self, so please take care of your self and the expected little one; everything else is whenever.

4. debbie
    May 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

So glad to hear that you and the baby are ok.

5. ludlow22
    May 17, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I can’t think of anything less needing of an apology. Take care of yourself, and we’ll look forward to your return if and when that works for you.

6. TomSims
    May 18, 2015 at 8:59 am

Best of luck to you , your family and your new baby.

7. EG
    May 18, 2015 at 9:11 am

Thank you all so much for your good wishes and offers of help. So far, nothing exciting has been happening, which is just how I want it!

8. liz
    May 18, 2015 at 10:33 am

Thinking of you!

9. Jennifer
    May 18, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Wow–how scary. Glad to hear you are okay and in good hands! Will be wishing you well.

10. May 18, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Wishing you and your baby all the best EG! Take care of yourself!

11. May 18, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Oh no! I”m glad you’re okay, though. Placental abruptions are terrifying. I hope things go smoothly from now on for you and the baby. *hugs if you want*

12. May 18, 2015 at 6:04 pm

EG, I’m so glad you and your baby are OK, and I have great faith that your enforced bedrest right now will end with a gorgeous newborn who will become just as wonderful a person as my delightful niece, whose mum was on bed rest for 5 months before she was born, and whose 21st birthday we recently celebrated. Modern pre-natal obstetrics can do wonderful things, praise be.

13. amber p
    May 19, 2015 at 6:53 am

I spent the first few days of my hospital bed rest alternating between numb shock and uncontrollable crying. Then I settled in to the routine of it. Many good thoughts to you and baby.

14. May 19, 2015 at 12:14 pm

How scary. Take care of you, do what you need to do, and let the Collective Us know if there’s anything We can do. (We’re pretty resourceful.) Good vibes to you from Birmingham, if you believe in such things.

15. Donna L
    May 19, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Thinking of you, as always, and sending all good thoughts and wishes to you and the baby. I’m so glad that both of you are OK (kinehora), after such an incredibly terrifying experience.

16. shfree
    May 19, 2015 at 8:35 pm

EG, I hope you find the rest of your pregnancy dull as dishwater. Take care of yourself!

17. pheenobarbidoll
    May 19, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Boring is good. You’ll both be fine. Good luck!

18. tempy13
    May 22, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Hello EG,
    I’m a long time reader but never have posted. However, after reading this site religiously for years, I feel like I know quite a few of you.
    I am very glad to hear that you were able to access superb healthcare to address your frightening emergency. I have spent many months in the hospital for reasons unrelated to pregnancy. I know it can become a weird world within itself. I cannot imagine your particular situation and the feelings that accompany it.
    I wanted to wish you health, care and positive energy.
    ~tempy13

19. tinfoil hattie
    May 25, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Bless your heart! How scary! I’m wishing you the best!!

(pats EG’s shoulder) It’s all right … there, there … you’re very brave! Everything is going to be juuuuuust fine. You just rest, now.

Thinking of you!!