Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself. (Or somebody else.)

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe)), Content Notes are not needed if your post title is already descriptive of problematic content.
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

11 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. June 7, 2015 at 9:35 am

I have a new post up with a Disney-inspired twist on the harms of purity culture:

On Frollo and Josh Duggar

(content note for, well, exactly what you’d expect: child sexual abuse, sexual coercion, religious indoctrination, stake-burning, anti-LGBT propaganda, racism)

2. June 7, 2015 at 10:09 am

I recommended a fascinating study of estranged parents’ online forums, which analyzes the attitudes and behaviors of estranged parents through the perspectives of psychological theory and estranged adult children’s experiences.

3. June 7, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Questions from a failed craft fair

A post on trigger warnings. Note, triggery stuff in the post, obviously.

A rambling post about boomer pop culture and how much it shaped (my little corner of) GenX

My grandma’s peanut butter cookies, with chocolate chips. Because I needed them.

Five Influence Friday: Power in the Blood (this is a vampire novel, so all relevant warnings)

There was cover making at Inkstained Succubus yesterday (CN: BDSM images)

4. June 7, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I looked at two outrageous examples of how NOT to support women in the workplace from Congress and the Austin City Council.

5. June 7, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Today is the 50th anniversary of Griswold v. Connecticut, which legalized birth control for married couples. Prior to this Supreme Court victory, in most states it was against the law to advertise birth control, and two states (MA and CT) outright banned it. Planned Parenthood and a Yale ob/gyn did a little civil disobedience in New Haven and were fined for their troubles, but on this day in 1965 they reigned victorious. Really interesting history of medicine, law, ideas about marriage, and bodily autonomy.

Also, a piece on the (semi-)recently passed 20-week federal abortion ban.

6. June 7, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Over at delagar, I blog about the Hugo mess (kind of) in a post called “Why Can’t I Just Eat My Hamburgers in Peace?”

7. June 7, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Oh, also!

New issue of Crossed Genres Magazine is up! Great stories this month.

8. June 7, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Questions To Ask (And Not Ask) Transgender People. Many folks have a lot of questions about trans people. What questions are okay to ask, and what questions are best left to an internet search?

“I Never Would Have Guessed.” Why it bugs me when people tell me they never would’ve guessed I’m trans.

9. June 8, 2015 at 3:06 am

This week I wrote about Mad Max: Fury Road.

10. June 11, 2015 at 1:19 am

Someone sent me the “Boy’s asked to slap a girl, their reactions will amaze you” video, assuming I’d like it. I did not! Here are my feelingshttps://sergeantpolly.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/from-the-fists-of-babes-boys-slapping-girls-or-not/

11. June 11, 2015 at 1:19 am

Someone sent me the “Boy’s asked to slap a girl, their reactions will amaze you” video, assuming I’d like it. I did not! Here are my feelings https://sergeantpolly.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/from-the-fists-of-babes-boys-slapping-girls-or-not/