Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself. (Or somebody else.)

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe)), Content Notes are not needed if your post title is already descriptive of problematic content.
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

20 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. August 2, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Our Kickstarter for Invisibility Blues funded this week and now we’re going for stretch goals to make additional videos and annotated research materials. Our series does critical analysis of race and racial representation in video games.

2. August 2, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I wrote about how the act of paying attention to people and their particularities can be transformative: In which THE INTERNET. RUINS. NOTHING!
    _

I looked back over my many years of seeking treatment for mental health issues — and grappled with how often that quest has yielded disappointment: Alice Gives Career Advice for the Mental Health Care Professional
    _

Our creative impulses need to be given outlet, if we ourselves are to flourish: If something inside you sings . . .

3. Sue
    August 2, 2015 at 1:07 pm

CN: mental illness, bias

I had a little bout of symptoms last week so I put together a list of suggestions on how to support a friend living with mental illness.

We now have published 29 Q&A’s with LGBTQ folks in ten Western Pennsylvania counties. The project continues and I’ll be traveling to some of the outlying counties this fall to generate more responses. Note that we did set aside some of our original focus to put attention on QTPOC in honor of Roots Pride and Pittsburgh Black Pride. But that’s the beauty of a blog project – it can evolve.

4. August 2, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Celebrating a historical Hollywood sex symbol, Mae West Was A Dame

Also, Recognizing Our Feminine And Masculine Energy

5. August 2, 2015 at 2:17 pm

We covered:
    * some (mostly) awesome new pro-contraception laws popping up across the nation
    * the second Body Love Conference in Tucson
    * the dangers of douching
    * a review of Jon Krakauer’s book on campus rape
    * how female-centered HPV vaccination practices marginalize men and transwomen who have sex with men
    * antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea, with an emphasis on genetics

6. August 2, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Over at delagar, I wrote a review of Harper Lee’s Go Set a Watchman.

It does contain spoilers, and there’s some discussion of racism.

7. August 2, 2015 at 5:12 pm

CN: Religious content
    I did an article on Paganism, Witchcraft and Woo, speaking as a practitioner, not a researcher.

Use of story and aspects of truth in the movie Big Fish

And I’m running a photo scavenger hunt. Free short story for all the right answers, free ebook to one random correct person.

8. August 2, 2015 at 5:51 pm

I’ve published three pieces addressing ways in which sexual violence surveys are misrepresented in the media:

This piece on how distrust of women’s subjectivity facilitates scepticism of sexual violence surveys: http://www.writinginwater.com/?p=184

This piece on the National Review’s ‘debunking’ of the recent Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation survey: http://www.writinginwater.com/?p=195

And this piece on the claim promoted by the AEI that campus reporting rates don’t match official estimates of sexual violence prevalence: http://www.writinginwater.com/?p=240

9. August 2, 2015 at 6:16 pm
  10. August 2, 2015 at 10:17 pm

I wrote a summary and discussion of Jon Krakauer’s book on sexual assault on college campuses. Trigger warning for that one.

And that provoked a troll, so I made the questionable decision to scrutinize the offensive comment in a post of its own. That one’s triggering too – lots of angry words in full caps.

11. August 3, 2015 at 5:31 am
  12. August 3, 2015 at 9:06 am

Last week I wrote about yet another stupid, sexist Facebook meme, posted by a loved one.

• Ludlow22
      August 3, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I’m a little confused- your whole post seemed to enthusiastically support the same ideas the meme did (women can victimize men, sex with people who are too drunk to consent is rape). The original poster was certainly sexist, but you seem to agree with the meme. Am I misreading?

13. Dominique
    August 3, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Three of my articles have appeared in the recent labor issue of Broad Magazine, http://issuu.com/broadmagazine/docs/broad_issue_81_in_labor_june_2015 :

p. 15: All About Wonder Woman: Women and Stakhanovism
    p. 65: The Moving Goalposts of Discrimination
    p. 75: Woman as the Opiate of Man

TW: sexual violence, discussions of racism

Also, some (long-delayed) thoughts about the dress Rihanna wore, in her tribute to Josephine Baker last year. As it happens, Baker was far more than a dancer in a barely-there skirt. What could have started a meaningful conversation about self-definition, and the multifaceted nature of human identity, was, instead, co-opted by a discussion of whether Rihanna is a slut: http://www.dominiquemillette.com/bakerday.html

14. August 4, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Howdy! I had A LOT happen at my website this past week-ish.

I wrote about:
    liking “woo woo feminism”, and introspection through tarot and horoscopes.
    loving your ‘Lumpy’ sad self plus a free self care/rational response worksheet
    And finally, I started a weekly newsletter – chock full of post recaps, compliments, and facts about rad women from the past and present.

very happy about the direction my writing is moving!

15. August 5, 2015 at 6:13 pm

The Still Not Asking For It Project (launched on Indiegogo) is raising rape culture awareness with controversial and graphic t-shirts featuring breasts and the words “STILL NOT ASKING FOR IT” proceeds go to their nonprofit partners working to end sexual violence. SUPPORT THE CAUSE: http://igg.me/at/stillnotaskingforit

16. August 16, 2015 at 9:14 pm

My most recent post is How to Be a Feminist College Student

• ludlow22
      August 17, 2015 at 9:56 pm

If someone says, “I’m not a feminist,” don’t attack them. Ask them why. This is an opportunity for both of you to learn. Yes, many people still misunderstand feminism. Yes, many people are afraid to call themselves feminist. But many other people have completely legitimate reasons to shy away from the word. Women of color might prefer to identify as womanists. Men might prefer to be feminist allies, rather than co-opt the feminist label for themselves.

Yessssssss thank you. So much better than 90% of what I see on this subject.

17. August 18, 2015 at 10:00 am

Trigger Warning: rape culture, PUA content, general misogyny.

This isn’t my usual kind of “self-promotion”, meaning it’s not a blog entry. But it’s a video uploaded to YouTube of a rally I was at this past weekend.

Roosh V was coming to Toronto this weekend to talk to a small number of his loyal followers. As many of you may know, Roosh V is one of the most vile of the PUA crowd. He thinks rape should be made legal on private property, among other atrocious ideas. A petition had been circulating for a few weeks before the event, to try bar him from entering the country. It had signatures and support from a lot of people, including Toronto mayor John Tory.

Of course, a closet Roosh V supporter, calling himself a tourist shows up and starts harrassing the demonstrators and the media. Here’s a link to the YouTube video At one point, the “tourist” tells a female reporter “get out of my space, woman!” and I yell at him to shut up and not call her woman. To which he replies “Don’t go all white knight on me, man!” I tell him I’m no one’s white knight and ask him why he’s here, as do the reporters and others. (Note: I’m the one in the black cap and Tshirt, holding the camouflage patterned bag.)

The rally was great and featured several speakers, including NDP MPP Cheri DiNovo. There are other news videos from the media coverage which are also available for viewing.