Open Thread with Halloween Pumpkin Cat

Spooky black and orange things featureĀ for this Open Thread. Please natter/chatter/vent/rant on anything* you like over the next month or so.

Happy Halloween 1!

By Cindy (Flickr) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

So, what have you been up to? What would you rather be up to? What’s been awesome/awful?
Reading? Watching? Making? Meeting?
What has [insert awesome inspiration/fave fansquee/guilty pleasure/dastardly ne’er-do-well/threat to all civilised life on the planet du jour] been up to?

* Netiquette footnotes:
* There is no off-topic on our Open Threads, but consider whether your comment would be on-topic on any recent thread and thus better belongs there.
* If your comment touches on topics known to generally result in thread-jacking, you will be expected to take the discussion to #spillover instead of overshadowing the social/circuit-breaking aspects of this thread.

14 comments for “Open Thread with Halloween Pumpkin Cat

1. October 20, 2015 at 9:00 am

Harper is OUT! He’s out and he’s also stepping down as Conservative Party leader.

I’m no big fan of Justin Trudeau, and to be honest, I really wanted to see the NDP make some real gains this election (they and the Bloc Quebeqois both took some major hits, esp the Bloc), but considering the alternative would have been four more years of Uneven Steven (yeah, I just made that up), I’ll take what I can get.

• October 20, 2015 at 2:38 pm

BYEBYE DARTH HARPER, DON’T LET THE DOOR HITCHA, ETC ETC.

Seriously, I was so. much. squee last night! Turned up here today to see just this :D

Shame the NDP didn’t win, though. I was rooting for them hard.

• October 20, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I’m more relieved than actually happy about the result. It’s a bittersweet feeling of relief of stepping back from the neo-fascist abyss, while probably going back to political b.s. business as usual.

I actually had a dream that during acceptance speech, Trudeau pulled off his face (his pretty, pretty face) to reveal Harper underneath, so it’s safe to say this election was getting to me.

Would have been nice to get away from the liberal conservative back-and-forth of the last 150 years.

2. October 22, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Hi, stopped by to read the blog and saw all the news about the status of Feministe. I haven’t read it in a while just because of Life Happening. This blog has always been my go-to for “hey, what’s happening in the world of feminism?” So I’m glad that it’s still here and thank you all for doing the work necessary to make that happen!

3. Aaliyah
    October 25, 2015 at 2:09 pm

hi feministe, i don’t think i’ve commented here since july. mainly because this is a liberal feminist blog and im far from being liberal. but i still lurk this place from time to time. i like lots of folks here and it’s kinda nostalgic for me. and even though i don’t read many articles here anymore, from time to time there are some ptetty good ones.

i hope everyone’s doing alright, or hanging in there at least.

• EG
      October 26, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Hi–I’d noticed your absence and been hoping you were OK. It’s good to hear from you.

4. October 30, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Is anyone dressing up for Halloween? I went to a party as Tina Belcher but nobody really seemed to get it

• pheenobarbidoll
      October 31, 2015 at 12:57 am

I will be an elf. Tolkien, not dnd.

• Lindsay
      October 31, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Some friends and I are going as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Princess Daisy. I’m Princess Daisy. We went out last night as a sort of dress rehearsal to see how the costumes work, and no one got my costume either unless I was standing next to the group. But we had a blast!

• November 2, 2015 at 1:14 am

For our office Halloween party, we were told to dress as “advertising icons,” so I went as the woman from the Poo-Pourri videos. Didn’t win the costume contest, but I’m definitely going to get some more use out of that dress.

5. Ledasmom
    October 31, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I was Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween trivia night at our usual trivia place – piece of red wool made into a hood with a pin, basket with napkin over contents, toy stuffed wolf. Well, technically it was a toy stuffed poodle, but close enough. The rest of my team were a flapper, a minion and the guy who had a bad day at work and therefore didn’t costume. The fifteen extra costume points were won by the woman who did an excellent Marty McFly costume. There was also a whole table of Rosie the Riveters who paused on their way in to pose with a “We can do it” sign.

6. November 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Lots of people up here are pretty excited about the announcement of Trudeaus cabinet. Compared to previous cabinets, it’s a rather diverse crowd, including the 50/50 gender parity.

CTV has a list of names and bios here

7. PrettyAmiable
    November 17, 2015 at 11:14 am

Having so many thoughts about the recent terrorist attacks, and the US response (both at a political level and a personal level).

1. Threatening not to accept refugees from Syria because you’re scared one of them might be a terrorist is fucking racist. Fullstop.

2. If our view wasn’t myopic about who matters and where terrorism happens, I don’t think ISIS would have gained the traction to continuously attack Paris and other targets in the Middle East and Europe. How did we let them produce oil, of all things, for so long without stopping them? I’m not typically for military intervention, but you know what? Letting them generate millions upon millions of dollars to fund terrorism seems exceptionally stupid.

3. For the handful of people that think we shouldn’t be paying any attention to the Paris attacks because we (broadly speaking) didn’t pay attention to the attacks in Beirut is also short-sighted. Our response to Paris is appropriate, and we should have had a similar response to Beirut. I read an oped in the Washington Post that said Paris made the news because this attack is “unusual” – they then cited a stat about Lebanon having 200 terrorist attacks in 2014, killing 114 people. So fewer than 1 person died per terrorist attack in Lebanon in 2014. NY Times: How is it not unusual, then, that 43 people died in one day due to terrorism?

8. AMM
    November 20, 2015 at 5:27 am

It’s Transgender Day of Remembrance, at least in my timezone. I’m looking at the lists of those murdered and reading a few of their stories (mostly stories starting with when they were killed.) And while I’m saddened (and, to be honest, a little afraid, too), I’m also heartened.

Because people are noticing. People are openly saying, “this is not right.” People are saying, “remember her [it’s mostly hers] for who she was.” Back when I was young, being trans was something shameful which you were supposed to pretend didn’t exist, and murdered trans people were to be deadnamed (or unnamed) and buried and their “secret” and maybe their very existence to be erased from individual and collective memory.

I’m wondering if the time is coming for me to take my hope out of the deep-freeze and thaw it out.