For your enjoyment (or at least some venting), a general discussion thread just for election stuff.
A niche group of political scientists may have uncovered what’s driving Donald Trump’s ascent. What they found has implications that go well beyond 2016.
Like a number of other commentators, Reich argues that there’s a feedback loop between political and market power. Rising wealth at the top buys growing political influence, via campaign contributions, lobbying, and the rewards of the revolving door. Political influence in turn is used to rewrite the rules of the game—antitrust laws, deregulation, changes in contract law, union-busting—in a way that reinforces income concentration. The result is a sort of spiral, a vicious circle of oligarchy. That, Reich suggests, is the story of America over the past generation. And I’m afraid that he’s right. So what can turn it around?”
There are so many intriguing and contrasting opinion and analysis pieces being published right now, so please share links to articles you’ve loved or hated regarding both broad and narrow political issues swirling around this election.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Election Zone Thread 2016 #2 by tigtog April 28, 2016
- PEOTUS Watch December 2016 by Moderator Team December 14, 2016
- Today in hyperventilation that a mouseclick could have prevented: Easter Sunday and Google by tigtog April 1, 2013
- Margaret Thatcher Dies by Jill April 8, 2013
- Credit Where Credit is Due by Jill April 4, 2007