Open Thread with Seasons Turning

The change of season (or in some cases the change not turning up on schedule) features for this week’s Open Thread. Summer doesn’t appear to want to let Australia go into Autumn just yet, how are you Northrons going with getting some Spring?

Please natter/chatter/vent/rant on anything* you like over this weekend and throughout the week.

a circle of 8 maple-like leaves arranged in a colour wheel of autumn tones, with labels of pantone colour numbers matching each leaf

Autumn Leaves (pantone) crop
By Chris Glass, Cincinnati, USA (
[CC BY 2.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons

So, what have you been up to? What would you rather be up to? What’s been awesome/awful?
Reading? Watching? Making? Meeting?
What has [insert awesome inspiration/fave fansquee/guilty pleasure/dastardly ne’er-do-well/threat to all civilised life on the planet du jour] been up to?

* Netiquette footnotes:
* There is no off-topic on the Weekly Open Thread, but consider whether your comment would be on-topic on any recent thread and thus better belongs there.
* If your comment touches on topics known to generally result in thread-jacking, you will be expected to take the discussion to #spillover instead of overshadowing the social/circuit-breaking aspects of this thread.

30 comments for “Open Thread with Seasons Turning

1. Wordwizard
    March 10, 2016 at 8:39 pm

The turn of the seasons today was bizarre. I was HOT in March. In just a T-shirt. In NYC. That’s unheard of. “Oh, mercy, mercy me. Things ain’t what they used to be, no, no.” —Marvin Gaye.

• Wordwizard
      March 11, 2016 at 6:43 pm

If I were JKR, I’d be swatting up on the homework I hadn’t done, before I put my foot in it even more. Her deafening silence on Twitter THAT day isn’t conclusive—YET. Glad I’m not her!

• HowIsBabbyFormed
      March 12, 2016 at 12:34 pm

She doesn’t seem to know much about the history of North America.

• AMM
      March 14, 2016 at 9:40 am

I’ve seen discussion of this in the blogosphere in Jim C. Hines’s blog post J. K. Rowling and #MagicInNorthAmerica

2. Anna
    March 16, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I don’t like how people are calling Donald Trump “Donald Drumpf” because that used to be his family name. That’s what you’re going after him on? And making fun of people because their names sound funny is nasty and can be racist, and people should be called by the names they want to be called, which is especially a big issue with trans people and women not changing their last names. Not that Trump is either of those, but don’t want to encourage “it’s cool to call people by their wrong/old names and laugh at their names.”

I also wish people would not tell “eating a Brownie” Girl Scout jokes/puns. Girl Scout Brownies are in second and third grades (around ages 7–9).

• HowIsBabbyFormed
      March 16, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I agree with your concerns about naming

• Wordwizard
      March 16, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Anna: Since The Donald attacked Jon Stewart for changing his name, tweeting “If Jon Stewart is so above it all & legit, why did he change his name from Jonathan Leibowitz? He should be proud of his heritage!” even though he has used at least one pseudonym, “John Baron”, himself, shouldn’t what’s sauce for the goose be sauce for the gander? He opened the door for this particular attack. I would agree with you under other circumstances.

• March 31, 2016 at 8:58 am

Making fun of anyone’s name is not clever, cool, intelligent or witty. The trouble comes from the people doing it since they think they’re being clever, cool, intelligent & witty. They have no other academic or intellectual traits to lay claim to, so they use the lowest common denominator. When they’ve exhausted their repertoire of name-calling, they’ll then “move up” to fart jokes. Annoying to the rest of us…pathetically sad for the perpetrator of such third-grade antics, especially since they’re on the other side of eight years of age.

3. Anna
    March 16, 2016 at 12:04 pm

People saying Hillary Clinton is inevitable/is going to be coronated/etc. are being unfair to her and also to the men who oppose(d) her. Obama beat her, and if Sanders doesn’t he’ll have given her a run for her money. So talking like she just showed up with the right name/connections and money and they gave her the job/nomination is unfair to those men and her. Also if the right name/connections and money was all you needed to be President or get your party’s nomination Jeb Bush would have.

4. March 17, 2016 at 5:50 am

The trial of the man who murdered one of my closest friends is in week two. Fingers crossed that he’s convicted. His defense team is arguing that he’s not culpable because he was on medication for seizures. Fingers crossed that the jury doesn’t fall for it.

• ludlow22
      March 23, 2016 at 2:56 am

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• March 23, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Thanks ludlow22. Today he was convicted. It won’t bring her back or take away the hurt, but at least her family and everyone who loves her will not have to worry about where that guy is.

• March 25, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Here’s the news story about the verdict against the man who killed my friend. This type of violence is far too common, and the rate with which the perpetrators get away with it is far too high. Toxic masculinity is a thing, and it hurts both men and women, and this never ought to have happened, nor should it happen again, but that will require that people start to see what is right in front of their faces and listen. The verdict doesn’t bring our Moni back, but I do feel like I’m breathing easier knowing he’ll be behind bars for a very long time, possibly the rest of his life. #justiceformonica

• March 29, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I have no adequate words to express my condolences for what you have been through since the murder of your friend, PeggyLuWho. I just didn’t want to let this sit here without a response. #justiceformonica is at least something, and I’m glad it’s helped you breathe a little easier.

5. ludlow22
    March 18, 2016 at 10:06 am

Not much of a Sanders supporter, but this was a good moment and something I wish Clinton would echo.

6. HowIsBabbyFormed
    March 22, 2016 at 5:55 pm

What do people think about the Hulk Hogan v.s Gawker lawsuit? On the one hand you have a jury shutting down a media company over a single true story. On the other hand, you have someone posting a sex tape without the subject’s consent.

I would rather set the precedent that your sex tape might be news than the precedent that celebrities can separate their public persona from their person by using a different name. The former affirms that newsworthiness is established by the media and the public. The latter allows celebrities to engage in real-world discourse as “another user” so to speak, a privilege that the private citizen does not even have. They can speak to real people about real world issues and earn real money, but their responses are viewed as somehow unreal.

• ludlow22
      March 23, 2016 at 2:44 am

I don’t know why people should be allowed to post nudes/sex tapes of celebrities just because they’re famous. Are we OK with the stalker who posted nude images of Erin Andrews, too? How about the people who hacked a bunch of celebrities phones last year and posted naked selfies? Just because you’re a public figure doesn’t make that acceptable. And how famous do you have to be to make it OK, anyways? I mean, one of the editors of this blog has gone on to moderate notoriety; would she be fair game?

Also, let’s remember Hogan was having sex with someone – a non-famous woman. Even if you’re OK with doing this to celebrities, how about her privacy?

• Wordwizard
        March 23, 2016 at 2:56 am

Well said, Ludlow22.

Although, when will people learn not to TAKE sex videos, and photos that they don’t want to have come back to haunt them? Isn’t it an obvious Do Not Do? Aside from the issue of what the media should be able to post legally, what about irresponsible private persons, like that 17-year-old student, who won’t be paying attention to the laws?

• Scott Cunningham
        March 23, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Responding to Wordwizard,

When will people learn not to take other people’s sex videos / photos without their consent? Seems like a pretty serious do not do to me.

Given a choice of lessons, I’d rather we learned to respect other people’s consent and boundaries than that we all learn, um, whatever the other lesson would be if we all stopped taking potentially embarrassing selfies and lived in fear of intrusive creeps on the net.

• Wordwizard
        March 23, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Of course no one should take others’ sex videos / photos without their consent. However, since we can’t control what other irresponsible people will do, only what we ourselves will do, doing what IS within your OWN control is what makes sense, instead of hoping others will learn to behave, which is a lost cause. You might rather OTHER people learn respect, but learning to take care of YOURSELF is what YOU yourself CAN learn.

• HowIsBabbyFormed
        March 23, 2016 at 4:23 pm

It’s about whether it was obtained legally and whether you know if it was obtained illegally, like most things newspapers publish. It also is different depending on if the subject is a public figure and if the information is newsworthy.

These are basics of freedom of the press that you could look up on your own. You obviously are unfamiliar with any nuance in this area.

So you just think the first amendment should have general exception for human genitalia?

• ludlow22
        March 24, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I’m not sure why actually posting a sex tape or nudes is newsworthy. Writing about it’s existence might be different.

If I take a picture down someone’s shirt or up their skirt in public (totally legal in most states) and then post that to the Internet, and then a news outlet decides to run that picture, I think it’s totally proper that they can be sued for invasion of privacy. And I don’t think that changes if they’re a public figure.

7. March 24, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Jian Ghomeshi was acquitted of all charges because of course he was. I’m disheartened.

8. Angel H.
    March 28, 2016 at 3:40 pm

If you haven’t heard about this already, google “Microsoft Tay”.

• March 29, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I hadn’t heard about it, but once I started reading I was surprised that they hadn’t foreseen exactly what happened. Of course the Tay-bot was going to be most influenced by those who interacted with it most, and of course that was going to be a bunch of gleeful arseholes with keyboards and time on their hands.

9. March 29, 2016 at 7:13 pm

I just made this post “sticky” so it sits at the top of the front page, to make it easier for folks who want to talk about non-election stuff to find a non-election space!

We’ve also got a new spillover thread to redirect the repetitive partisan talking points towards so that our various election campaign analysis pieces can better stay on topic.

10. Anna
    March 31, 2016 at 9:10 am

Happy International Transgender Day of Visibility! In case you don’t know, this is an annual holiday every March 31st which was founded by Michigan-based transgender activist Rachel Crandall in 2009 as a reaction to the lack of LGBT holidays celebrating transgender people.

11. Anna
    March 31, 2016 at 11:27 am

Happy International Transgender Day of Visibility! In case you don’t know, this is an annual holiday which was founded by Michigan-based transgender activist Rachel Crandall in 2009 as a reaction to the lack of LGBT holidays celebrating transgender people.

12. Anna
    March 31, 2016 at 11:27 am

Ack sorry for the double post!