[Trigger warning for ableist slur]
Do you remember when Donald Trump struck out at New York Times reporter Serge Kovaleski by mocking him during a campaign speech? Kovaleski committed the dual sins of having arthrogryposis, a congenital joint contracture, and for calling bullshit on Trump’s claims that thousands of Muslims were celebrating in New York after 9/11. Trump later denied that he was mocking Kovaleski, saying that his twitching, flailing, stammering impersonation was actually “mimick[ing] what [he] thought would be a flustered reporter[.].” In her new book, In Trump We Trust, Ann Coulter agrees that he wasn’t mocking Kovaleski, but her position is that he was doing an impersonation of a “standard…” No, I just can’t.
(Seriously, stop reading now.)
— Joanna Rothkopf (@joannarothkopf) August 25, 2016
Trump denied knowing that Serge was disabled, and demanded an apology, saying that anyone could see his imitation was of a flustered, frightened reporter, not a disabled person. It’s true that Trump was not mimicking any mannerisms that Serge has. He doesn’t jerk around or flail his arms. He’s not retarded. He sits calmly, but if you look at his wrists, you’ll see they are curved in. That’s not the imitation Trump was doing—he was doing a standard retard, waving his arms and sounding stupid: “‘Ahhh, I don’t know what I said—ahhh, I don’t remember!’ He’s going, ‘Ahhh, I don’t remember, maybe that’s what I said!'”
(You were warned.)
Yup. Ann Coulter 1.) defended Donald Trump 2.)’s indescribably ableist impersonation by 3.) insisting it was not targeted but was, in fact, a “standard [redacted],” 4. who, she says, is characterized by “waving [their] arms around and sounding stupid.” Which is why she feels he should be president.
And that’s why, today at least, Ann Coulter is the worst person in the world.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Today in rape culture: The Trump video isn’t about the saucy language by Caperton October 9, 2016
- Dear Trump supporters – He’s playing you, and you’re falling for it. by Caperton March 29, 2016
- Trump was preparing to make a move, and Arianne Zucker had no idea by Caperton October 9, 2016
- Ivanka Trump says that motherhood is “the most important job any woman can have” by Caperton October 4, 2016
- Quick Hit: Donald Trump Jr. doesn’t understand refugees, or Skittles by Caperton September 23, 2016